PDA

View Full Version : Getting Sound in Knoppix

Ryan450
02-24-2005, 04:38 AM
hey there, all the other distro's of linux managed to configure the sound for me automatically.. I'm new to knoppix and debian in general and have no idea how to fix this problem.. looking through my Info Center

Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) Sound Controller (rev a0)

it says that the capabilities are avaliable only to root.. how can I get sound to work?

CrashedAgain
02-24-2005, 05:10 AM
First, boot 'knoppix alsa' to make sure you are using alsa and not oss. These are the sound modules in the kernel, oss is obsolete. If you are installed to HD, edit the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf adding 'alsa' to the list then re run lilo.
Then, try the sound configuration tool in the 'Knoppix' menu item.
Make sure your Kmix volume settings are turned up, you need at least master and PCM turned up.
Go to KDE control center -> sound system & enable the sound system.
Go to KDE control center -> system notifications & turn on all event sounds.
Then you have to edit the hidden file /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc & change all three settings to 'true'.

[Misc]
LastConfiguredApp=The KDE Window Manager

[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true

It is a hidden file, to find it set konqueror to view hidden files then edit it with Kate or Kwrite.
Why kde doesn't do this automatically when enabling system sounds is a mystery to me but it doesn't.
You should now have system beeps & whistles.
To play sounds from more than one application you must use the sound server aRts & you will need to install the xmms-arts plugin so that xmms can use aRts also. Apt-get install xmms-arts then you have to configure xmms to use aRTs as the output plugin. This setting is in options->settings->Audio I/O Plugins.
You also have to set xine to use aRts, the setting is in settings->setup->audio->audio driver to use.
If you are using konqueror as a web browser go to konqueror configuration settings->plugins & set 'pipe plugin sounds though arts' to true. It is under the second tab under 'netscape plugins'. They should revise their dialog box names since netscape is now pretty much a thing of the past.

videoman413
05-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Hey Crashed again... I'm having a problem with Alsa.

No audio at all.

the controls which seem to indicate I can raise or lower the volume are missing. The people over at knoppMyth told me to try and re-install the alsa drivers.

I may have untared it in the wrong place, but I downloaded alsa-driver-1.0.8 and what it says is

checking for kernel version... The file /lib/modules/2.6.11.7-chw-4/source/include/linux/version.h does not exist.

Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel sources. (default is/lib/modules/2.6.11.7-chw-4/source).

any advice? :?

jb