PDA

View Full Version : HD Install Challenges.

rvijay
02-24-2005, 05:43 AM
I installed Knoppix to HD using sudo knoppix-installer

1. Soon as I typed it, thgre were some message in the console saying that something is not clear in partition table 8 and will try to fix by writing.

2. Then after install it said it can't remvoe certain files from /usr/share as it is a read only file system.

3. I have two hard drives. It said Warning /dev/hdb1 is not on the first drive.

4. Video Apater currently in use can't be deternmined.

5. When I tried to boot, it says L99 99 99 the 99 99 continues for several lines and then it stops at that.

The same occurs for both the Basic Install as well as the Debian type install.

Please assist.

Vijay

eon
02-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Vijay, Something about the partition you installed to is not working.
What kind of partition did you create? And did you make it bootable?
I think you need to use a partitioning tool you are comfoartable with
and create a linux partition and then do the install.

This how to is a little old but may be a useful guide: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/

rvijay
02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
I used fdisk. I made two partitions. The first one was ext2 and is the major partition. The last one is swap and the minor one. I formatted the first swap to ext2.

Before install however, the software formatted it to ext3 system.

Moreover, I just mounted, went into the installed drive and checked. (I have two drives, the first one has got Debian WOody, the second has the Knoppix Install). Several files seem correctly installed.

Vijay

rvijay
02-24-2005, 05:28 PM
By the way, I have made partitions on this disk before using the same method and installed/used other OSs, including Damn Small Linux without any problems.

Vijay

eon
02-24-2005, 08:41 PM
I installed Knoppix to HD using sudo knoppix-installer

1. Soon as I typed it, thgre were some message in the console saying that something is not clear in partition table 8 and will try to fix by writing.

2. Then after install it said it can't remvoe certain files from /usr/share as it is a read only file system.

3. I have two hard drives. It said Warning /dev/hdb1 is not on the first drive.

4. Video Apater currently in use can't be deternmined.

5. When I tried to boot, it says L99 99 99 the 99 99 continues for several lines and then it stops at that.

The same occurs for both the Basic Install as well as the Debian type install.

Please assist.

Vijay

I didn't understand your # 4 orginally due to the spelling. Seems your video adapter or card isn't recognized.
You may need to use cheat codes to boot knoppix. Although you say you've installed debian woody. Did it boot?
If debian worked and knoppix doesn't then honestly I don't know what the problem is.

rvijay
02-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Yes, woody is what I am using to type this message presently.

I also got another error message from the Knoppix Installer:
/dev/mapper/control open failes no such device
incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03) Compat and kernel driver

Could this entire problem be due to the fact that I have two hard drives and the woody is somehow messing with the knoppix installer ?

Vijay

CrashedAgain
02-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Yes, woody is what I am using to type this message presently.

I also got another error message from the Knoppix Installer:
/dev/mapper/control open failes no such device
incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03) Compat and kernel driver

Could this entire problem be due to the fact that I have two hard drives and the woody is somehow messing with the knoppix installer ?

Vijay

for the /dev/mapper problem see page 2 of this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16328

rvijay
02-24-2005, 11:29 PM
I tried adding dm-mod as suggested in that page to /etc/modules and /etc/modules-2.4.27

It didn't work.

Vijay

rvijay
03-01-2005, 03:09 AM
I was trying a Debian Upgrade and my system crashed. So, I had to repartition my HD and tried the Knoppix HD install again. It worked great !!

Before thsi I tried a Damn Small Linux and an Alt Linux Install both didn't discover the partitions. So I guess there were partition detection problems. The can't remove and dev mapp errors still came. However, the HD install still works. I am typing this post using this HD install now.

Vijay :lol: