PDA

View Full Version : using knoppix to try to recover windows files

richpodraza
02-24-2005, 05:46 AM
here is my scenario: I just rebuilt a new computer, and put 2 hard drives in it. one is a new one and one is the old one which had an install of windows XP on it. I am now running windows server 2003 on the new HD and I'm trying to recover my files from the other hard drive. For some reason whenever I click on my My Documents folder, it says access is denied.

so anyway I tried to use knoppix to copy the files from one hard drive to another. when I try to though it says that there is either a reading or writing access problem...any idea how i can get around this an manipulate files on both hard drives?

also, the reason I dont just boot up the old hard drive is that it wont boot...an odd problem considering its files seem intact

thanks,
rich

foamrotreturns
03-02-2005, 04:37 AM
It sounds like you had file encryption turned on in your NTFS volume. This basically encodes all of the files stored in a directory tied to your username (documents and settings/username) with a hash key that is generated by your user password. I don't know if there's anything you can do at this point. I might be wrong...