PDA

View Full Version : Removing Programs Using Apt-Get

kaplan71
02-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I installed Knoppix 3.7 onto a system's hard drive and I wanted to remove some programs that were installed with the OS, but are not
needed on the system in question. Would using the apt-get remove command syntax work or is there another method that is better? Thanks.

Cuddles
02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
kaplan71,

I think you got it, or at least thats the way I do it...

You can use the remove in conjunction with another command line switch to completely remove everything, or just remove the program...

To just remove, as an example, a package called "program", the remove would look like this:
apt-get remove program

to remove everything, this would include, like in games, saved games, configs, etc... you can use this:
apt-get --purge remove program

*** if you prefer a GUI ***

You can use synaptic, and install, remove, and purge, the same as the apt-get command from the CLI ( synaptic is a "front-end" to the apt-get / apt-cache ). If you are going to use a GUI instead of the apt commands, I would suggest getting familiar with the apt commands first. Apt is the "standard" for Debian, and probably will "always" be available, whereas, a "front-end" GUI for apt may not always be installed. ( this last part may, or may not, be for your benefit kaplan71, it could also be more information for anyone else who may be reading this post :) )

synaptic is not the only "front-end" available for apt, I think kpackage is another, not to mention, I am sure, others... But, I have used synaptic, as a front-end, and it works pretty good. Since using it though, I have stopped, and just gone back to using the apt commands, IMHO, I think the apt commands are a lot easier, and less likely to get one into trouble. ( considering installing, and dependancy problems, are less likely when you list out what you want to install, as you would in the apt commands. With a "front-end" GUI, you can select a TON of packages to install, and when you click on "install" or "apply", dependancies might get messed up. )

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles