PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix with linksys wireless B

Apox89
02-24-2005, 11:23 PM
I have a computer that uses a card in the back of it to receive the signal from the router upstairs. I know this works because i am on the net right now. The only problem is when i use knoppix it can't find that i have a wireless network card. any info? I am n00b to this so yah. Any help appreciated.

Apox89
02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Also in the start up i notice that it recognizes the card as eth0 ... I have tried several commands such as "ifconfig eth0 up" and "pump -i eth0" and just plain "ifconfig eth0" to see the settings...but no matter what i do i can't connect through linux. This is really becoming a hassle. :cry: Anyways, any help would be appreciated...Thx in advance

pureone
02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
ok some simple commands for some trouble shoting.

lspci will list everything connected via pci slots. weather or not your card is correctly detected.

iwconfig if you wireless card is dected and called eth0 for some strange reason you should get some output other then lo has no wireless extension eth0 has no wireless extensions.

you will most probley need to find the wireless drivers for your card and install them using ndiswrapper.

google "ndiswrapper list" and look for the exact make of your card.

there are other posts on here about how to get a wireless card up and working you should have a look over them.

good luck and may your wireless card be compatable.

grant_vallance
02-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Now let me clarify something: you are trying to connect to the internet wirelessly? Yes/No

If yes, then your commands will not work because you are attempting to connect via your wired ethernet card, which I suppose your computer has. eth0 is the first wired network connection, whereas what you want is wlan0!

If no, then I am stumped somewhat because Knoppix is pretty good at sorting out wired connections.

So I am assuming yes ...

The easiest way to get a wireless card to work in Knoppix (without native linux support) is to use ndiswrapper.

There are some detailed instructions on how I got my card to work under the sticky post: Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking. Some folk have found it useful.

Let me know if you get stuck, and I'll try and walk you through it. However, I am no guru, I'm very new too, albeit with a fair bit of experience in gettting people's wireless network going under ndiswrapper.

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance

tom p
02-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Now let me clarify something: you are trying to connect to the internet wirelessly? Yes/No

If yes, then your commands will not work because you are attempting to connect via your wired ethernet card, which I suppose your computer has. eth0 is the first wired network connection, whereas what you want is wlan0!
Not necessarily, no! The device naming scheme isn't that strict (and simple) under Linux, yet.
Ndiswrapper assigns its device names the prefix "wlan", other device drivers don't; Atheros' prefix is "ath", and others are indeed using "eth" as prefix.

Thomas