PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to run knoppix from the harddisk with out ...

Dobez
02-25-2005, 11:50 AM
I want to run knoppix straight from my hd without having to dual boot, I prefer knoppix over windows and would rather not have it on my pc.Is it possible and if so can some one tell me how to do it.<---complete n00b.
Thanks.

CrashedAgain
02-25-2005, 04:52 PM
For a Knoppix only system, simply wipe your HD, reformat your HD.

I would use three partitions:
One for Knoppix O/S format ext3 about 5 gig
One for swap about 500 meg format linux swap
rest for data format ext3
so that data is on a separate partition from the O/S to protect it in case of an O/S crash.

but you can just use 2...500 meg for swap & rest for Knoppix.

Then just do a Knoppix HD install with the command 'sudo knoppix-installer'.

If you use 3 partitions, once Knoppix is installed you can set up to either move your /home directory to your data partition or else leave /home where it is but put in a symlink to your data partition so that you can easy access it.

eon
02-25-2005, 04:59 PM
You do not need windows on your drive if you don't want it.
I ran that way ( sans win ) for a long time.
You could use qtparted to delete the windows partiton.
I assume you will save any files you want, and then you can
either use the extra space for /home or just add to your root partition.
You could give this link a read: http://pw1.netcom.com/~kmself/Linux/FAQs/partition.html
Once you have the drive formatted the way
you want you can install knoppix. Good luck!

doesnotcompute
03-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I want to run knoppix straight from my hd without having to dual boot, I prefer knoppix over windows and would rather not have it on my pc.Is it possible and if so can some one tell me how to do it.<---complete n00b.
Thanks.

Here's what I did:

-use qtparted to create an ext3 partition for knoppix, and a linux-swap partition for swapping
-run knx2hd to install knoppix
-when asked if I want to install LILO on the MBR or the partition, choose PARTITION
-reboot
-edit my boot sequence in my BIOS to check the CD-ROM drive before checking any hard drives
-boot from the knoppix CD
-at the boot console, type "knoppix root=/dev/sda1 noinitrd ro", so that a) Knoppix will see /dev/sda1 as the hard disk installation to boot up, and b) so that knoppix won't initialise a ram disk and try to run from that

That's how i've been using knoppix for the past month or so: It's running from a hard disk partition, but I don't have to dual boot or mess around with the Master Boot Record or use LILO or anything, all I have to do is make sure the Knoppix CD is in the CDROM rive at boot up :D