PDA

View Full Version : *Newbie* help install KNOPPIX CD on WinXP

wardialer
04-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Hello, I wish someone could walk me through this. I installed the CD, but the problems comes in the boot section. What do I need to type on the lower left hand corner where its says (BOOT:_) ?

And also, how would I access the internet and email settings? I know, there is a lot of questions to ask. Im very very new at this so I think its better to ask the pros.

Would be compatable to a laptop computer?

I would really wish someone could walk me through step by step with the Knoppix CD Installation.

thx.

MattT
04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Unless you have a specific problem you don't need to type anything. Just press enter or wait a few seconds for it to start itself :)

wardialer
04-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. And what about the Internet and email settings? And would this work on a laptop?

Stephen
04-06-2003, 07:46 PM
How are you going to connect to the internet, ethernet card or modem (hardware or winmodem) this determines the setup method used. For the e-mail you just have to configure whichever e-mail client you want to use with the settings you got from your ISP just like you would have to in windows.

As for the laptop it depends on the support for the hardware in the machine itself what is the make, model post as much detail as possible it helps in giving you a proper answer (always a good procedure with any question).

rickenbacherus
04-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Unless you have a specific problem you don't need to type anything. Just press enter or wait a few seconds for it to start itself :)

That's not entirely true. Yes Knoppix is certainly capable of booting without any input however, there are many situations that cannot be made automatic for various reasons, a wheelmouse for example. Although it is not necessary I commonly boot w/ 'noscsi' & 'nopcmcia' options. Why spend the time and effort looking for something that simply doesn't exist on my system. It is true obviously that 'noapic' and several other of the many available codes can make problem hardware more cooperative.

wardialer
04-06-2003, 11:49 PM
I dont have the laptop yet. So i dont know. And if I just load the Linux (KNOPPIX) with XP originally installed, is the Linux still going to be secure from spyware and viruses?

To be honest with you, the only reason I wish to install Linux is the security issue with Windows. With Linux, its less likely. But even though Im booting Linux from a CD, does this mean Im going to be secure or not?

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 12:28 AM
I dont have the laptop yet. So i dont know. And if I just load the Linux (KNOPPIX) with XP originally installed, is the Linux still going to be secure from spyware and viruses?

To be honest with you, the only reason I wish to install Linux is the security issue with Windows. With Linux, its less likely. But even though Im booting Linux from a CD, does this mean Im going to be secure or not?

What can a virus do to a cd?......nothing. Of course you are still able to download whatever you like to your hard drive so if you puit a virus on your drive then of course you'll still have a virus. There are other not so obvious reasons as to why Linux is less vulnerable than windoze.