PDA

View Full Version : File Association Problems - Newbie !

Sparky
02-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi, I have recently installed Knoppix 3.7 to my HDD and all has been working well except when I opened a Mpeg file I accidently set it to always open this type of file with the XMMS player. Unfortunately, now it seems that everything that I try to open tries to open with XMMS. I cannot open or explore any of my partitions because it keeps using the XMMS player to open it.

Can anybody help me with this ?

I have tried several searches on this forum with no luck so apologies if this has already been covered.

Thanks in advance

Mark :)

CrashedAgain
02-26-2005, 10:07 PM
File associations can be set from Control center->KDE components. This setting can also be accessed from konqueror->settings->configure Konqueror.

Sparky
02-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the response. I have gone into file associations and I have gone to all and it says that there isn't any set. I cannot figure out how to fix this.

This is starting to annoy me as I cannot get anything to open properly.

Any help appreciated

Thank

Mark

pureone
02-26-2005, 11:31 PM
you could try the open with option then update it to always use that program.

Sparky
02-26-2005, 11:54 PM
I have tried this, but it still tries to open it with XMMS. I am confused as to why this would happen.

Thanks

Mark

Sparky
02-27-2005, 12:14 AM
I have managed to sort this out by putting everything back as default in the control centre and then by putting the open with option to konqueror.

Thanks to everyone for their help

Mark

CrashedAgain
02-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the response. I have gone into file associations and I have gone to all and it says that there isn't any set.

For some odd reason 'all' doesn't mean set all the file type associations, refers to an 'all' type file. But it sounds like restoring defaults worked...good. Personally I change a few...for instance default action for a text file is preview in embedded text editor instead of open with external editor kwite.