PDA

View Full Version : WDS passthrough between Linux And Windows

Phishman
02-26-2005, 08:56 PM
I need to network my linux PC to my Windows XP Pro pc. I use Verison DSL and need to make some type of wireless conection but really dont want to slow down either computers internet speeds. Thus, is it possible to purchase 2 identical wireless routers both with built in DSL modems and hook them both up to DSL in seperate rooms and have them comunicate to eachother? This would allow for fast internet via Wired DSL and still having a shared Network via wiresless. Can it be done? If so, what do you recogmend.

Harry Kuhman
02-26-2005, 09:21 PM
I need to network my linux PC to my Windows XP Pro pc. I use Verison DSL and need to make some type of wireless conection but really dont want to slow down either computers internet speeds. Thus, is it possible to purchase 2 identical wireless routers both with built in DSL modems and hook them both up to DSL in seperate rooms and have them comunicate to eachother? This would allow for fast internet via Wired DSL and still having a shared Network via wiresless. Can it be done? If so, what do you recogmend.
Boy, there are just so many reasons that that isn't going to work that I'm hard pressed to know where to start.

In gerenral, routers don't talk to routers. There was a post recently of a Buffalo router that had a mode that would let it act as a bridge to another of the same model router, but you still have other problems.

What would you connect the wired connection of each router to? You expect to use 2 DSL modems on your telephone line? That isn't going to work (again, for so many reasons - you only get one IP address, just for starters). So without 2 DSL modems you would seem to still need a "wireless" connection somewhere to get to the Internet, or would have to run wires to multiple rooms (which would make the whole question pointless in the first place).

Wirelss connections do add overhead, there is no argument from me on that. And they do have connectivity issues. But You do understand that even 802.11b is much faster than your DSL line, don't you? It's wireless connections between systems where you are going to notice the speed penality, not likely on the Internet connection. I would expect that one wireless connection, particularly if it were 802.11g would be enough to avoid seeing any slow down on the Internet connection, as long as the many other wireless problems didn't hit you. If you fear, as I do, trying to get an 802.11g device to work with Linux then you likely want a bridge, not two routers. There are other solutions too; for example there are ethernet-to-AC adapter devices that will let you run at 10 mbs across your power line (yea, not as fast as a 100 mbit ethernet line, but still much faster than your DSL connection, without the wireless issues).