PDA

View Full Version : Wake On Lan Configuration - Knoppix vs Debian

Tommyknocker
02-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Hi,

i'm new to this board, but I hope somebody could help me.
I use a minimal Debian-Linux-Installation with a 2.6.10 Kernel. My mainboard have a VIA VT8235 ethernet controller with wol support.
I want to be able to use the wol feature of this onboard nic which works great under winxp and knoppix, but under the debian system it
only works once after a cold start. The via_rhine module will be loaded successfully in knoppix and debian but only knoppix shuts the
system down in the right way. But why?
I also tried the ethtool command, which should enable wol "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" and also the kernel-command "enable_wol=1", but
since the hardwaredriver of this nic isn't build into the kernel, this can't work i think, but it was worth a try.

Can anybody tell me which config files in knoppix may be associated with this behavior?
I looked into the modutils directory but find only entries for wifi (wlan) but nothing about standard NICs, so i think this have to be in an
other place. Maybe it is in the shutdown-script, i read in some suse forum that it is neccessary to turn on the wol feature before a shutdown,
or maybe it shuts down in an other way then my minimal debian system? i use shutdown -h now for this.

Or do somebody have a solution for debian (sid), wol and via-rhine?

Thanks a lot.
Tommyknocker