PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to create book image wo iso

rashaunny
02-27-2005, 04:17 AM
I downloaded knoppix, mandrake and knoppix std for bittorrent. All 5 files indicated they were iso's, but then I uncompressed the filed they were folders. I tried to burn the contents of the folders but that didnt work, all there was was an autorun. I had seen a couple of images in the folders i downloaded but they seem to be only boot floppy images. Where is the iso i was supposed to get?

UnderScore
02-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Welcome to the Knoppix.net forums. Please read my full post.

Warning: Do NOT uncompress the ISO images you have downloaded. In fact, Windows might be hiding the ISO extension or has associates your ISO downloads with a decompressor like WinRAR or WinZip. I know it might seem resonable to uncompress it, especially if it opens up in WinRAR or WinZip, but it is meant to stay as a ISO file and not to be uncompressed. It is meant to be burned to the CDR disc as a single image and not as files & folders.

Please read some documentation. See this link for details and even screen shots on how to burn the ISO file: http://www.rocketfodder.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MySite/Burning_Linux_Live_CD's_With_Nero_page1.htm. If that doesn't work out for you then read the FAQ for downloading & burning here http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ.

You are welcomed and encouraged to both read and search the forums. Many of the problems you will run into, have already been examined and answered here.

I hope this helps.
James

rashaunny
02-27-2005, 09:08 PM
When I downloaded the programs they showed as rar files (or at least the icons did, and in stupid xp it doesnt show the extension or at least not in my view) instead of the iso
Ill try this, thanks

Harry Kuhman
02-27-2005, 10:48 PM
.... and in stupid xp it doesnt show the extension or at least not in my view) instead of the iso ....
XP shows file extensions on my system. Win98 does too. In both of these systems Microsoft defaulted the system to hide extensions from the user if they were extensions that were registered with the os. This is a feature that should always be turned off. It is easy enough to change.

pureone
02-27-2005, 11:24 PM
you know there are so many things that microsoft put in by default. that shouldnt be on by default.

hide known file extensions. this stops people from renameing .txt files to .html and what ever else. .exe files can hide as .txt.

you can change the known files thing in explorer (not internet explorer!!!) go to options. look around there

Robert A.
02-28-2005, 05:48 AM
Clarification: The ISO is meant to burned as a single "iso image" file. As explained above, it is wrong to de-compress the ISO to numerous files and folders, then burn them. But it is also wrong to burn the ISO as a single "data file," which is the way my Windows XP default burner wants to do it. If burned as a single "data file," it is not bootable.

If your CD burner does not have the capability to burn an "iso image," or you don't know how, try using Alex Feinman's "Iso Recorder" software, which can be found on the Internet. There is one version for pre-XP-SP2, and one just for XP-SP2.