PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini

doesnotcompute
02-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Hello all, I've recently downloaded and installed Knoppix 3.7 on one of my hard disks (using "knx2hd"), and I'm having a little problem. I've successfully set up my ext3 partition, and my linux-swap partition on a SATA drive that I've also got two other partitions on (an NTFS partition for storing downloads in win2000, and a FAT32 partition, so both Knoppix and Windows can read/write from/to it). I've also used knx2hd to copy the knoppix files over to the ext3 partition. However, the problem lies in the fact that I'm trying to use boot.ini to let me chose Knoppix at boot time. I've used the following command to dump the first 512 bytes of the ext3 partition to a binary file:

dd if=/dev/sda4 of=/mnt/floppy/knoppix.bin /bs512 /count=1

I've also put a line in the end of the boot.ini file so that I can choose "Knoppix 3.7" at boot up:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
c:\knoppix.bin="Knoppix 3.7"

However, when I rebooted, I chose the Knoppix OS, and the bootloader echoed "L" followed by lots of "01"'s, and the system hung. This leads me to believe that I'm not generating the knoppix.bin file properly. Can anyone help me, please?

doesnotcompute
03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
After further reading, it appears that LILO may be at odds with my BIOS as to what kind of geometry my hard disks have. I'll try forcing knoppix to boot to my hard drive installation of knoppix, so I can can edit the lilo.conf file. I suspect that this is happening because my knoppix partition is stored on a SATA drive, but I rearranged the partitions such that I had an ext3 partition less than 8 GB as the first partition on the drive, but it didn't work. I'm going to try to get LILO working with the "LINEAR" option as well, just to see if that might work for me.

*edit:

I have also tried booting into my hard disk installation from a knoppix boot floppy that I made during the installation procedure. LILO loaded up no problem, but when I selected either of the Linux options available, I got a "0x01" error, which apparently means that the BIOS doesn't support my drive, even though I know it does!! :x