PDA

View Full Version : Java programming?

VeeDubb
04-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Can anybody recomend a good free program for linux similar to Jpad Pro for Windows? Also, where to get it. I prefer apt-get, but I'll take whatever is available.

A. Jorge Garcia
04-07-2003, 02:30 AM
What are you looking for, a Java IDE?

Regards,

VeeDubb
04-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Yes, I believe that is the correct term. Let me explain what I'm doing. I'm taking my first ever college class on programming. It happens to be in java. In class we use a program called Jpad pro. What it does it automaticaly creates the headers and footers for you applet and also creates simple html file to call the applet. It has an integrated compiler, debuger, and applet viewer as well as a few other bells and whistles.

I'm looking for a program, that does the same thing under linux, and price IS an issue. GPL/free would be prefered.

garyng
04-07-2003, 04:12 AM
As far as I know, sunsoft's SDK is free but it is rather slow(written in java) so you may need a fast machine.

mabhatter
04-07-2003, 04:21 AM
Depending on your needs. I've tried several of them, but they don't sound exactly like what you want.

Jedit is a program editor that seems to do well written in java so it should run on Linux as well. Its meant for stand alone work i.e. one program or project at a time.

NetBeans and Ecllipse are true IDEs more for hardcore dev work than playing around. I personally like ecllipse because the data handling and searching works for just about anything you want! You can organize your class notes with the same program you write with!

All of theses have decent size dev communities with growing numbers of plug-ins as well.

VeeDubb
04-07-2003, 04:03 PM
thanks for the replies. It looks like netbeans or eclipse is what I want.

Viro
04-26-2003, 12:58 PM
Can anybody recomend a good free program for linux similar to Jpad Pro for Windows? Also, where to get it. I prefer apt-get, but I'll take whatever is available.

You'll want the Java SDK from Blackdown. http://www.blackdown.org. The Sun JDK doesn't really work, probably because its compiled with gcc3.2, which Knoppix uses 2.95.

Get Netbeans from http://www.netbeans.org. Its a great IDE, with a tonne of features, but sadly it needs a good machine (> 1Ghz, 256MB ram) to run.

garyng
04-26-2003, 05:58 PM
I am curious, why should the gcc used to build the binary be a concern ? I thought at best it relates to something with the share library used in which case KNOPPIX is already using the latest as far as I can tell ?

BTW, it seems that the default gcc used on KNOPPIX is gcc 3.2 not 2.95, at least that is what I get when I wanted to compile some programs.