PDA

View Full Version : arested booting...

ngs
02-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Hello,

I have a strange problem. I've used my Knoppix v 3.7 cd to boot up all of my PC's at one time or another except for one.

This one boots off the CD, allows me to either press enter or enter some parameters. I just press enter, the CD spins and the boot up process starts but stop right after the os detect my CD drive and then tries to read it. It take a while but it errors out stating that it can't find the knoppix filesystem on the cd. ???

It just booted off that cd so it knows there is something there. as I said, i've used that cd on many different pc's (not just my home ones) and even installed to Hard disk a few time with absolutely no problems.

Any one run across this? any one have any thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

system... DELL P3 550 128Ram

NGS

Harry Kuhman
02-28-2005, 05:35 PM
....It just booted off that cd so it knows there is something there. as I said, i've used that cd on many different pc's (not just my home ones) and even installed to Hard disk ....
I suspect one of two problems:
If the CD was written at high speed (such as 40x), you might be seeing a problem that many others have seen where it can be read on some systems but not others. Burning the same ISO file at low speed (ie. 4x) usually resolves this.

You may need some cheat codes while booting that particular hardware. Try knoppix nodma at boot for starters.
Normally I would also ask if you checked the md5 sum of the iso, but that the CD does boot ok on some systems seems to make that less of an issue. (Couldn't hurt though if you still have the ISO file.)

ngs
02-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Normally I would also ask if you checked the md5 sum of the iso, but that the CD does boot ok on some systems seems to make that less of an issue. (Couldn't hurt though if you still have the ISO file.)

Thanks, I will try this tonight when I get home.

I regards to the MD5 issue, yes I did check. The first time I downloaded this ISO file caused me to burn a coaster so since then I alway check.

I will also experimennt and burn the cd a the speed you recomend to see if indeed it makes a difference.

thanks for your advice.

NGS

ngs
03-01-2005, 03:57 AM
Hi Again...

Burning a cd at lower speed did not work. but Booting up with the nodma param did work(much faster booting btw). Boot up problem solved for now unless it affect the followong problem... When I issue the commands iwconfig ath0 essid...channel.... key..... the are accepted. then pump -i ath0 And I get a failure.

The wireless card is idnetical to the pc i'm writing this from. Those commands work on this PC. If anyone have ideas about this problem again I'd be grateful to hear.

Another question is... how do I get DVD movies to play on this PC. Knoppix 3.7 installed on HD. I can't seem to get them going on XINE. something about the dvd player plugin not installed. Will post more info about this last problem when I have time to play with the dvd again and capture the error.

Thanks again,
NGS

Harry Kuhman
03-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Glad nodma helped. I don't think it has anything to do with the wireless card not working, but I can't help you get it working.

ngs
03-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Glad nodma helped. I don't think it has anything to do with the wireless card not working, but I can't help you get it working.

No Problem... I'll keep bashing at it until I get it working. The important thing is that it did boot up.

thank you very much for the advice.

A la prochaine...
NGS