PDA

View Full Version : Recovering my system and HDD space

tycopolis
02-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Hey everybody....

I installed SuSe 8 on a DeLL Latitude C610. I tried to get it to dual boot with XP and was unsucessful. So now, I would like to do the following:

I want to completely get rid of the SuSe installation.

Somehow I was able to get the laptop booting and it now boots to Windows. I think that I did something bad wit the MBR. I need to make sure that the XP MBR stuff is there and that the SuSe is wiped out.

I also want to recover that space so Windows can use it.

Thanks for the help...

OErjan
03-01-2005, 05:11 PM
you might use qtparted or partition magic to remove the partitions with suse and resize the win partitions.

Harry Kuhman
01-18-2006, 11:54 PM
I would suggest deleting the Linux partitions but not trying to resize the NTFS partition (always a dangerous approach anyway). Instead I would use a partitioning tool (even the one that comes with XP, although I like Ranish) and create a second Microsoft partition to reuse the now available space. While this could be another NTFS partition, unless you have a need to make this a NTFS partition, I would recommend making it a FAT partition. This will allow you to write to the partition with Knoppix (and other forms of Linux) as well as with XP. Thus you will have hard disk space that you can use when running Knoppix, space where you can write recovered files when XP gets around to crashing, and even space that you can access with other software including DOS.

I'm not quite clear why we are responding to a post nearly a year old however!