PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP !!!: Cannot get DIAMOND modem to work!!

AJones
03-01-2005, 04:09 PM
How can I get this Diamond Supra Express Pro 56e external Serial modem to work? This modem dials the ISP, connects me, gets an IP address assigned and then get a message stating LOGGING ONTO NETWORK and then I get pppd timedout, I am at my wits ends in solving this problem, Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

eon
03-01-2005, 09:13 PM
If you are using kppp to access the modem try enabling the debug option
and then see what error message you get.

I think you can also start kppp from a terminal window and, leaving the
terminal open see what messages you get there. An error message will
usually go a long way towards providing answers. Also see "man pppd"

AJones
03-01-2005, 09:24 PM
My Friend I have triedevrything I know, /etc/ppp/options, PAp-Secrets, Chap-secrets, AT COmmands that I experimented with, wvdial etc. No luck yet. It is got something to do with pppd. Besides, the S/N is low on my modem. Many folks have had problem with this model, I am just hoping if some one has got it working share their AT Commands.

Thanks

Alan

fingers99
03-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Avoid Kppp.

Use pppconfig to set up the modem, pon to connect and poff to disconnect.

I take it you're doing this from the live CD?

AJones
03-02-2005, 01:49 AM
I have installed it on HD, I will pppconfig a try, is it like wvdial? Let you know soon. The modem chip is some ACF chip from Conextant. I tried many AT commands that have not been useful as such.

Commands like
AT&F2 gives me error

AT&F&C1&D2+MS=v34
AT&F&C1&D2+K3+MS=v34

AT&F&C1&D2s10=200+MS=v90,1
AT&F&C1&D2&K3+MS=v90,0

AAT&F&C1&D2
AT&F&C1&D2s95=3
AT&F&C1&D2W2

Lets the original problem exist with LOGGING ONTO NETWORK and then timing out.

Lets see what pppconfig does

Alan

fingers99
03-02-2005, 04:41 AM
I have installed it on HD

Ah, in that case make sure you're in the dip and diallup groups. (su to root and vim /etc/group).

Is it like wvdial? Well, it's simpler than wvdial and easier to set up.

Something to consider could be that your ISP doesn't use conventional pap or chap authentification, but something proprietary (like AOL).

fingers99
03-02-2005, 04:48 AM
Hang on,
The modem chip is some ACF chip from Conextant. and this is an external serial modem?

If I'm getting this wrong, please forgive me, but the modem is a black box about 6" square , 1.5" tall with red lights on the front which sits outside the computer?

AJones
03-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Yes it is a small Black Box, I guess it has some problem with S/N becoz I keep getting CD low waiting for 20ms like 50 times in WinXP. Do you have a Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro as well. Please let me know what exact AT commands you are using if so.

BTW pppconfig worked, it is easier than kppp & wvdial. But, I am having problem using pppconfig on another computer with SimplyMEPIS, I still continue to get ppp timedout with this modem with SimplyMEPIS on this computer.

Thanks

Alan

eon
03-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Another thing to try might be minicom -s which once you learn to use it will let you send those ATDT commands to your modem.
If you can get the right commands-who knows. I had to do this on my external modem. (not your make & model)
My modem doesn't work with ATZ instead uses AT&F&C&D2V1 plus for the 2nd intilal string ATE1 Minicom helped me
get it working.

BTW I don't see what's wrong with using kppp once all that is worked out-it works fine for me.

fingers99
03-03-2005, 04:12 AM
Do you have a Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro as well. Please let me know what exact AT commands you are using if so.

Yes, same model (perhaps a different batch -- I got mine over 2 years ago). I don't use any AT commands: for me, it worked (and always has worked) straight out of the box.