PDA

View Full Version : Confused Newbie vs Knoppix 3.7. Round 1.

gadgerama
03-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi all. I'm trying to run the live cd on top of an ancient w98se platform (old bits 'n pieces), and I'm not being that successful.

At first, it was booting fine until it got to the 'Scanning for HD partitions and creating /etc/fstab..' msg, and then it would hang. So, having no real idea of what fstab is, I chucked the 'nofstab' cheat at the start, and got the boot process to go a bit further.

Now I get as far as a 'Starting some sort of window' msg, and then my monitor image turns to cheese, and its standby lights come on. The cd is still running at this point, but stops after a few minutes.

The boot script says that it's picked up my graphics card (a 3dfx voodoo banshee) and now I'm clueless as to what to try next. Any ideas out there?

UnderScore
03-01-2005, 10:46 PM
The following line almost always works with old weird hardware that I test:
knoppix nodma noscsi noacpi noapic nofirewire nosmp noapm nofstab screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60 desktop=icewm

gadgerama
03-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks mate - I re-read the docs and decided to try the fb800x600 comment - I'd associated it with notebooks and disregarded it before. Anyway, it worked like a charm and after adding the fstab comment I was in like flint!

Now I'm going to try your version and see if I get any more than 9% resources free .... :-)

Future projects: Getting BB to work, finding a load more old ram, sending this baby to HD. I'll keep you posted of my failures :-).

Cheers!