PDA

View Full Version : Apt Speaks German?!

whell
03-02-2005, 04:08 PM
After I did an apt-get update on Knoppix 3.6 (HD Install), I did apt-get again to install a few packages. Lo and behold, apt is not responding in German! Anyone know how I can fix this? I've checked in Konsole for settings, but everything looks OK there.

mr_ed
03-03-2005, 04:27 AM
Young Kwai Chang Caine:
Anyone know how I can fix this?
Master Po:
Grasshopper, is the fault in apt speaking German, or is the fault in you not speaking German? Seek to be one with all life.
Also seek your /etc/apt/sources.list - if the lines still refer to ftp.de.debian.org (as supplied by the CD), try switching to a different mirror from the page http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

-- Ed

CrashedAgain
03-04-2005, 05:17 AM
First, check your /etc/lilo.conf. 'lang=<what language you want> should be in the append= line. If it is not, your system will default to German, so add it and re-run lilo to implement the change. Next, install the package 'localepurge' and remove any unwanted language support. Finally, if you have done a Knoppix style HD install, edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. Find the line about default language and change it from 'de' to what you want.

whell
03-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the constructive feedback. I'll try out these suggestions. Strange, though, that APT is the only program that seems to want to speak German. Everything else is in English.

whell
03-10-2005, 03:18 AM
Thanks CrashedAgain. Your suggestions worked like a charm!