PDA

View Full Version : Screen resolution

IanHall
03-02-2005, 07:46 PM
HI
In a Unix class that requires us to use 3.6 knoppix, i HD installed cuaes cd to slow on my inspiron 8500, for me anyways
don't know much other than basic unix stuff
it runs in a postage stamp form, on 1024x768 yet my laptop is a 1280x800 resolution so i have thick border on sides and little bit on top and bottom
anyone know hot fix this ? under the display properties i'm on max resolution
i don't konw if there's something i can add to the lilo file or what, thanks

Harry Kuhman
03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
In a Unix class that requires us to use 3.6 knoppix,.....
That's interesting, since Knoppix is Linux, not Unix. You might consider this if you ever make an evaluation of the Unix course. When I was doing hiring if I asked an applicant if they ever used Unix and they answered yes, they had used Knoppix I would quickly put that appliaction in the "without a clue" pile.

IanHall
03-03-2005, 01:15 AM
thanks Richard

cuase i'm trying to apply here for a job, and thanks for the helpful response to my question posed. ( sarcasm intended)

thought this would be a good place to go for help for poeple who are new to knoppix, any ways any helpful feedback is appreciated

Harry Kuhman
03-03-2005, 01:27 AM
I don't kow anything about the inspiron 8500, so can't give you a perfect answer to your question. You might try looking at the cheat codes though, or search these forums for others who have already solved your problem rather than just posting apparently without doing either of these. Sure, I knew I wasn't answering your question, but I felt it was legitimate discussion of what you had posted. My post didn't prevent anyone else who would know the answer from joining in. Not everyone who posts is going to give you the exact answer that you want, I hope you can live with that.

bigheadyan
03-03-2005, 02:06 AM
In a Unix class that requires us to use 3.6 knoppix,.....
That's interesting, since Knoppix is Linux, not Unix. You might consider this if you ever make an evaluation of the Unix course. When I was doing hiring if I asked an applicant if they ever used Unix and they answered yes, they had used Knoppix I would quickly put that appliaction in the "without a clue" pile.
Actually the word unix have evolved over time to include many of the operating system. This is demonstrated by google http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&oi=defmore&q=define:UNIX
Though the definition of the a OS developed by bell lab is important, but the word involve many OS including knoppix.

Kencaz
03-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Open terminal

"sudo kxconfig"

KC

ModernTenshi04
03-03-2005, 03:45 AM
IanHall:

I had the same issue with my ABS zForce F2 notebook. I have an SXGA+ LCD display, and the native res is 1400x1050. When I started using Knoppix 3.7, I couldn't go higher than 1024x768 without the screen either wigging out, or splitting/mirroring on me. It was really annoying.

Then I read a cheatcodes section, and have not had the problem yet. When Knoppix boots, press F3 to enter the cheatcodes menu. In the menu type: knoppix screen=[your resolution] depth=32. Only type in 32 for the depth if your machine can handle 32 bit color depth. When the OS finally loads and you make it to your desktop, save a configuration file to your HDD. After that, when you load Knoppix on start up, enter the cheatcodes menu and enter myconfig=scan, and it will load your saved configuration file, and will start up with the correct display.

I'm still running my copy from the CD, so I don't know if it's different from a copy that's installed to a HDD, but I'm sure it is. It's worth a shot though!