PDA

View Full Version : Building source : LAME encoder [Solved]

dantheman10110
03-03-2005, 03:29 AM
This is probibly a stupid question, but how do i build the LAME encoder from it's source?
I tried to download it pre-built, but it wasn't distributed prebuilt from their site.
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/sound/lame/

Harry Kuhman
03-03-2005, 05:25 AM
I haven't built Lame, but have you looked at the source? For the things that I have had to build I fould the command line(s) needed right in the source.

UnderScore
03-03-2005, 05:53 AM
In order to get LAME, you will need to add a new repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. This page shows you the line you need to add http://debian.video.free.fr/. After adding the line, update the package lists:
apt-get update
Then install lame:
apt-get install lame

I hope this helps.
James

dantheman10110
03-03-2005, 08:46 PM
I found that in the forums earlier. When I installed it, I couldn't find the library libmp3lame.so
i need to have that library to run audicity with mp3 encoding, unless theres another encoder.

Markus
03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Did you also apt-get liblame0 ?

dantheman10110
03-04-2005, 12:39 AM
I had, but that wasn't the problem. It was naming the file libmp3lame.so.0, like it was a backup. Since no other file of that name existed, i just took off the .0 and I was fine.

bitey
03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I was unsuccessful with this on the last release of 3.3 (poor man's install), but I found a workaround.

I tried with several versions of lame to produce the missing file, using:

./configure
make

I got the .so.0 file and renamed it, but found audacity would crash when I tried to browse for it. Attempting to open the "settings" dialog in audacity also crashed the program.

I finally downloaded the free Windows program cdex. Once the .zip file is decompressed, you can run:

wine cdex.exe