PDA

View Full Version : goofed with apt-get update booting takes more than 10 minute

ramaswamyps
03-03-2005, 03:43 AM
now after upgrading updating and all i have run into problems in booting

a YP binding keeps on going binding ...............

after some 10 minutes of binding the boot :( :( ing happens and goes well

what do i uninstall to avoid this binding business!!!

thanks for a reply

ramaswamy :( :( :(

UnderScore
03-03-2005, 05:59 AM
open a konsole and become root, change to the rc5.d directory, locate the ypbind link, delete it, exit out of root mode :
su -
cd /etc/rc5.d
ls S*yp*
rm S*yp*
exit

Mustang64
03-25-2005, 02:24 AM
open a konsole and become root, change to the rc5.d directory, locate the ypbind link, delete it, exit out of root mode :
su -
cd /etc/rc5.d
ls S*yp*
rm S*yp*
exit

I too have been plagued with the dreaded ypbind. I found in Kpackage that this “program� is a part of the NIS package.

Question – If I “un-install� the NIS package, will the ypbind problem go away?

Also – by un-installing NIS, what other functions will quit working?

I have a small (four computer) family NET using P2P either net communications. Will this be adversely affected? Will I lose my DHL connectivity if i un-install the NIS package?

Thanks in advance

GMD

UnderScore
03-25-2005, 04:28 AM
You may remove NIS/ypbindwithout any problems & will not negatively impact your systems. Typically NIS is used to create a network of computers whereby you can log into and PC and get the same settings/files/desktop from any computer. This would be the same as a roaming profile in the Windows domain.

James

Mustang64
03-25-2005, 04:45 AM
Thanks James

Now off to bed, it's past your bed time... ;-)

GMD

A. Jorge Garcia
08-04-2005, 03:01 PM
I just ran into this problem on my 3.7 KNOPPIX hdinstalled box. I did an apt-get update and upgrade and now this ypbind is taking all day to set up a yp server. I went into /etc/rc.d but found no file related to yp services to delete....

Please help!

TIA,
AJG

ffeirtag
08-04-2005, 11:29 PM
If you don't mind the ypbind running, and might have a yp server
at some times, as I do, I suggest you just comment out "bind_wait"
in /etc/init.d/nis.

--Fred

A. Jorge Garcia
08-05-2005, 02:42 AM
I just did