PDA

View Full Version : New to knoppix--cannot enter commands at boot screen

section_8te
03-03-2005, 06:48 AM
I am experimenting with knoppix and I created a partition on my flash drive to use as a persistent home directory. I understand that I need to tell knoppix at boot where to find the directory using:

Knoppix home=/dev/sda1

however, I cannot type anything in at the boot: prompt---eventually knoppix boots and i have full use of my keyboard and mouse.

Any ideas why I can't type in commands at the boot: prompt????

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I also cannot select F2 and F3 at the boot prompt.

Harry Kuhman
03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Anything about your keyboard that you want to admit to, like it being a USB or wireless keuboard?

section_8te
03-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Yes, it is USB.

Harry Kuhman
03-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Yes, it is USB.
Does your BIOS support it directly? Can you use it to enter the BIOS and make BIOS changes? If not then you can hardly ask why knoppix does not support it, until Knoppix actually gets loaded. After all, before Knoppix is loaded and can detect your USB equipment it is pretty limited in what you can expect it to operate.

section_8te
03-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Yes, my BIOS does support it and I can use it to effect BIOS changes, which is why I was confused by it not working at the boot screen. I am using the ps/2 adapter and can now enter commands at boot:

Harry Kuhman
03-06-2005, 07:32 AM
I would have expected that if the BIOS supported the USB keyboard it would have taken care of it for any booting application too. Apparently not. Glad you have a fix now though.

Zeus
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I have this problem too and it works fine in windows why won't it work here it works in bios as well

also since I cannot use boot commands and the system boots by itself (and locks up in the same spot every time) I am screwed