PDA

View Full Version : kernel timer added twice

mantorpcity
04-07-2003, 05:26 AM
I've been testing out Knoppix from cd for a while and finally decided to take the leap to hdinstall.
Followed along the install script and when in doubt just chose the first alternative available. The cd has always detected everything fine so I wasn't worried.
The first time I try to boot from the hd I get the approximate error:
bug: kernel timer added twice

Googled a bit and found another forum where the answer was: "kernel timer added twice, you can only add it once."
Not so helpful.

So, where do I go from here, how do I found out where the problem is? Warning, Knoppix is my first foray in to Linux of any kind.
Thanks.

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 11:03 PM
It is possible (but I am not certain) that this is caused by IRQ conflicts. Am I to understand that after you receive the error it fails to continue booting? What is the exact error message?

mantorpcity
04-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Is there an easy way of logging the things it's doing while booting? Will tackle it later today after work. If I recall correctly it does it while setting up ssh. I'll post the exact error in a few hours.
Thanks for your help.

rickenbacherus
04-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Is there an easy way of logging the things it's doing while booting?

If the machine finishes booting you can always do this at the command line:

dmesg | more

dmesg will give you the kernel messages from boot. Piping it | more will keep it from scrolling off the screen.

mantorpcity
04-08-2003, 04:10 AM
I start a few lines above the error I received. While I was copying it by hand the thing finally gave up and continued loading Knoopix. So I now have a functioning (somewhat) hd install.
Not sure what DMA is, nor why it mounts my hd as read only. But, so what I have a Linux PC! The rest we'll figure out as I go along.
Thanks for your help.

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 96M
agpgart: Detected Via MVP3 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
blk: queue c032bfc4, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
hda: timeout waiting for DMA
hda: ide_dma_timeout: Lets do it again!stat = 0x58, dma_stat = 0x20
hda: DMA disabled
hda: ide_set_handler: handler not null; old=c019b860, new=c01a0cdc
bug: kernel timer added twice at c019b6c1.
hda: dma_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
hda: DMA disabled
ide0: reset: success
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
lp0: console ready

rickenbacherus
04-08-2003, 04:45 AM
DMA is Dude My Arse is afire. Well ok not really.....

Direct Memory Access.
Here is an excellent how-to on an excellent program called hdparm

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

Here is the info from the Knoppix site about DMA:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall

In the event that you need to reinstall you could try some different cheat codes. As I am unsure what cheat codes you booted with I will give you an example.

boot: knoppix lang=us wheelmouse dma noscsi nousb

Again this is just an example. Keep in mind that while installing Knoppix- YOU CAN SURF THE WEB!! Oh yeah! If it prompts you with something you don't understand post, search or whatever it takes. You won't regret your awesome Debian GNU/Linux install. I have just looked at a very nice "Knoppix install how-to" posted by chad. Thanks chad-
http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html[/url]

mantorpcity
04-08-2003, 05:08 AM
Knoppix cheat codes, I have no idea?
The hdinstall how-to would have been even better if it explained a bit about each step. E.g. file system, heck if I know which one I want. Another example the cfdisk thing, took me at least 6 different tries before I had two partitions it liked. Now my root account seems to do what I need, but the user account gets loaded with no hd mounted. And I've read somewhere not to run it as root so we'll see.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

rickenbacherus
04-08-2003, 06:31 AM
. E.g. file system, heck if I know which one I want.
I would recommend ext3. Remember Microsoft scan-disk. You needed it because your filesystems eventually got defragmented. With ext3 that is a thing of the past.

Another example the cfdisk thing, took me at least 6 different tries before I had two partitions it liked.
cfdisk is a VERY powerful program. Just remember that you need a bootable partition and a primary partition of at least 2500MB (I would definitley make it bigger though.) Post some system details for assistance on partitioning your hard drive.

Now my root account seems to do what I need, but the user account gets loaded with no hd mounted.
You can mount hard drives like this:
su
<password>
mount -t auto /dev/hdx? /mnt/? (replace hdx? w/ your hard drive and partition.) Example: /dev/hda2

Here's how you find your mount points:
cd /mnt
ls

And I've read somewhere not to run it as root so we'll see.

That is because as 'root' you have ultimate authority. As root you can completely destroy your system but you cannot do many things unless you are root. It is a VERY BAD idea to surf the web as root. Thus the command 'sudo' You will have to add yourself to the 'sudoers' group.

su
<password>
mcedit /etc/sudoers

Once in there add a line like this:
username ALL=(ALL) ALL

That should give you 'sudo' privaledges (sp?). You can now execute commands as root without becoming root. Example:

sudo mcedit /etc/fstab

OR

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

senorian
04-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Hi Rickenbacherus
". I have just looked at a very nice "Knoppix install how-to" posted by chad"
When I read this I went to the site, thinking that it was new and that I could learn more(my level of ignorance is unbelievable)
There was no date on the page and ,AFAICT, it is not too new.
One of the peculiarities of the Linux world is that linuxites seem to hate to put dates on their web pages etc.
Given that the rate of change in the GNU/Linux world is fantastic all information rapidly ages.
There is SO MUCH information that time spent looking at , for example, a HOWTO from last year is often a waste of time:there is SO MUCH to learn.
This is perhaps even more pertinent to this web site as Knoppix releases so often that the release number IS the date!!!
This site is also the most friendly to newbies that I have experienced
Many thanks

rickenbacherus
04-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Hi Senorian-

That how to seemed very relevant for Knoppix 3.1 One of the best pars about it was what to do after you install and log into a German desktop. Alot of people were troubled by this. You are right, Linux moves very fast and what was once relevant may no longer be. There is alot to learn about Linux. When you are a windows user all the same functions take place but they happen "behind the scenes". I thought I knew alot about my system -HA!! I knew nothing until I started studying Linux.