PDA

View Full Version : Another sound problem

meranto
04-07-2003, 10:05 AM
I'm using Knoppix V3.1 and performed knx-hdinstall.
During the boot process Knoppix finds my soundcard, Opti16 Audio.
It uses the mad16 driver but it somehow does not seem to work.

I already tried using sndconfig and it works just fine there, it finds my soundcard, plays the vocal and writes the configfile, but whem I start XMMS it returns that popup-screen where it says that the device is busy, or the soundcard is not properly configured.

Is there anyway I can make my sound work?

meranto
04-07-2003, 03:50 PM
There is some progress.
With the help of sndconfig I can get my soundcard to work perfectly, for exactly one session.
If i restart my pc I need to run sndconfig again in order to be able to hear sound.
I don't know why my soundconfiguration is removed every time I reboot, I'd like it to work properly.

Stephen
04-08-2003, 08:28 AM
You might try opening a root console and type adduser <yourusername> audio which adds you to the audio group then logout and log back in and try it again (to see which groups you belong to open console and type groups then enter).

PS. If you want to use the cd-rom to play audio cd's you might want to add yourself to the cdrom group also.

Viro
04-08-2003, 02:38 PM
I used to have this problem with my old SiS630 chipset running RedHat. No one could ever solve the problem, and I'd be keen to know how to remedy this problem too.

Stephen
04-08-2003, 06:06 PM
After thinking a little more about your problem there is another thing you can check. Open a console window and run the top command to see if the arts sound server is running when you have the problem, if it is running you have two options kill the server off or apt-get install xmmsarts which installs the arts plugin. Configure the plugin and see if it works.

Henk Poley
04-08-2003, 06:21 PM
apt-get install xmmsarts
Dôh, why is that not included in Knoppix?

But that it won't work, this will:

apt-get install xmmsarts/unstable

Stephen
04-08-2003, 08:28 PM
My bad :oops:.

Dôh, why is that not included in Knoppix?

Space limits on the ISO I'd guess.

RockMumbles
04-09-2003, 05:16 AM
since you've done a hd install, you'll have to

apt-get update

before you can

apt-get install xmmsarts

rock