PDA

View Full Version : Help required for conexant modem

Chris_Lewis
04-07-2003, 11:39 AM
I have downloaded the drivers from linmodems.org for my modem and i am unsure if they are going to work or not. It says that "To use these generic packages, kernel-source and the gcc C compiler must be properly installed on your system since no pre-built module binaries are included in them" now can anyone tell me if the kernel source and compilers are in knoppix after a HDD install?

Also any tips on getting the modem to work that dont say "get a new modem"

Thanks

Chris Lewis

VeeDubb
04-07-2003, 04:08 PM
the compilers are there, but the kernel ource is missing. Worse yet, it's not a standard kernele and itn's not available for download. If you are reasonably proficient, you should be able to mae your own kernel starting with the 2.4.20 standard kernel and applying several patches. Just do a search here for "kernel source" and you will find directions.

You will also find several posts of mine begging for kernel source because I was never able to build a good kernel. If you're wondering, i'm still without kernel and I'm switching to mandrake because it uses a standard kernel.

garyng
04-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately, that is the approach for Linux. Want something that works on your hardware, get XP. Want something works with Linux(and those wonderful software), get Linux friendly hardware.

Also any tips on getting the modem to work that dont say "get a new modem"

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 05:52 PM
I got a tip for you- get a new....nah just kidding. Actually these are reported to be some fairly good how-to's. I don't use a modem myself so I can't vouch for them.

http://www.wellmodem.com.tw/support/linux/howto/ppp/ppp-howto.html#toc2

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO.html

This is specifically about Conexant modems:
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Conexant+Rockwell-modem-HOWTO/introduction.html

gluck

VeeDubb
04-07-2003, 07:14 PM
I will actualy say it. Get a new modem. I know what you're thinking, but it's worth it. I finaly caved and bought an external modem and it was so mind bogilingly easy to set up that I will never go back. It was even easier to set up on my windows boot. You can get a good external that connects via serial for $50.00 and if you hit a good sale, you might find one for half of that. I found a $60 creative labs external that was $10.00 off for open packege with another $10 off for mail in rebate brining the final price to $40. And that was the first store I went to.

probono
04-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Get a new modem. Really not an option with a notebook...

rickenbacherus
04-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Get a new modem. Really not an option with a notebook...

You couldn't use an external modem with a notebook?

VeeDubb
04-09-2003, 01:30 AM
i guess you could, but I can see not wanting to. There is yet another alternative. I'm pretty sure I saw a hardware controlled PCMCIA modem on the boards someware. That way all you have to configure is the COM port, a wierd one I'm sure and then dial up with kPPP.