PDA

View Full Version : isp for linux

mshanmuga
03-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Can somebody list the popular ISP providers with modem/highspeed support who officially support linux and multiple home PCs in US?
Thanks

Harry Kuhman
03-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Can somebody list the popular ISP providers with modem/highspeed support who officially support linux and multiple home PCs in US?
Thanks
I doubt it very much. In addition to most ISP only officially supporting Windows, you'll find that the quality of that support, if you even can get someone who speaks english as a primary language, is extremely poor. Even with the "major" ISPs I gotten plenty of replies that indicate that they are extremely clueles and don't even have a basic grasp of how their own system works, let alone my hardware and software.

You are much better off getting a very inexpensive Cable/DSL router and hooking it up yourself than paying any ISP a premium for supporting multiple PC's. The router will likely cost you less than one month's extra charge for multiple PC networking, and then you will own it and never pay extra again. And once you set up the router to connect to the ISP (which involves setting it up with your name and password if you use DSL, may involve nothing if you use cable), you need no special software in Linux (or Windows) to access the Internet , you just connect through the TCP/IP stack buit into the OS through the ethernet port. Just be sure your ISP provides equipment with an ethernet connection, not that lame USB connection.

mshanmuga
03-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I wanted to share the AOL highspeed connection on a PC with a knoppix PC via Netgear router RP614v2 router. Sometime it worked. But whenever it didn't work I really got sick in trying to make it work. I switched to RoadRunner High Speed Cable modem. Though they said they don't recommend or support routers and other stuff, everything worked as soon as they made the internet connection on.

Harry Kuhman
03-18-2005, 12:12 AM
I wanted to share the AOL highspeed connection on a PC with a knoppix PC via Netgear router RP614v2 router. Sometime it worked. But whenever it didn't work I really got sick in trying to make it work. I switched to RoadRunner High Speed Cable modem. Though they said they don't recommend or support routers and other stuff, everything worked as soon as they made the internet connection on.
Absolutely. Stay away from AOL, they are in their own little world. You don't care if your cable company supports or even recommends a router, use one. Same for your DSL provider. It will greatly increase your protection on a high speed connection (no matter if you are using Linux or a Microsoft OS, or even something else). And it will make your Knoppix experience extremely clean and easy, as well as forming the basis of a home network if you wish to add more computers or if someone with a notebook computer visits. And don't rent a router from your cable or DSL provider and pay for it every month; you can likely buy a better one for less than your first month's extra charge would be from your ISP for this extra "service", and get a better router than they would provide.

For this reason you should insist on a modem with an ethernet connection and not just a USB connection when you sign up for high speed service. Some providers may try to stick you with a USB connection, but if you insist on an ethernet connection you can always get one.