PDA

View Full Version : Error message!!!!!

Tyler_H72
03-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Hey, I'm really new to this distro (and to Linux for that matter). I am using Knoppix 3.3 and i'm having trouble with the install. It told me that i had to create some sort of memory cache or something so that it could install, and after i told it to do that, it went to this screen that kept displaying the message "INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x804ec92! sleeping for 30 seconds." after that it waits 30 seconds (obviously) and then tries to work again, but just ends up failing and displaying the same message again. Does anyone have ANY idea how to solve this? please let me know if you do!

eon
03-09-2005, 05:24 PM
It told me that i had to create some sort of memory cache or something so that it could install, and after i told it to do that, it went to this screen that kept displaying the message "INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x804ec92! sleeping for 30 seconds."

There are some threads on the error message that you get: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41507

Are you actually trying to do an install or just boot from the cd? And does knoppix boot ok from the cd?
Whatever the answer to that is you can try, as the thread suggests, cheat codes "failsafe" at the boot prompt.

Also search for cheat codes and try other codes if you need to. Good luck.

foamrotreturns
03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Also, the version you're using is pretty old. You might want to upgrade to the latest. I used to get segfaults a lot in 3.6 and they stopped when I went to 3.7