PDA

View Full Version : Very new to Linux - Trying to recover XP files to USB device

rbasting
03-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Hello there.

First, I must say that whoever developed this product is truly a God-send. I have spent two days (not full days) trying to recover files for my wife from her HP laptop. XP has corrupted itself twice now and it is impossible to get the thing to boot using ANY XP boot CDs. However, when I hook up the external USB device and boot with KNOPPIX, the hard drive and USB device are recognized. Now onto the problems.

Keep in mind, I am VERY NEW to Linux, so speak slowly and with little words. :lol:

Both the hard drive and USB drive are NTFS. I see where they are mounted as read-only and I can change this in the Control Center. However, I still am unable to create a new folder or copy files from the hard drive to the USB device. I also noticed that it is not recommended to write to NTFS devices, so I guess my first question is...Am I running the risk of corrupting files already on the USB device if I try to write to it? Second, how else can I move the files from the HD? I know nothing about enabling the network on Linux or trying to connect to my home server via FTP, so if this is the best option, please talk me through how to do it.

I cannot write to a CD, because I'm using the only connected CD device to boot Knoppix.

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance you can provide.

OErjan
03-07-2005, 05:18 PM
could you repartition the drive? a fat32 partition should solve most of your problems. though that filesize is limited to a shade under 4G. that is the largest single file fat32 can handle.
otr perhaps move the files already on the hd to another computer and reformat it?

j.drake
03-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I agree with OErjan that this would be the best way. I just posted something about this for another user. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78327#78327

What I posted there would allow you to write to CD. Alternatively, you could simply copy the copy the files you want to the new vfat (fat32) partition, rather than installing the compressed Knoppix system there.

HTH, jd

rbasting
03-09-2005, 06:11 PM
I was able to solve my problem by using the network neighborhood function to copy my files across to my home server.

What a wonderful solution. After spending two days trying to find a bootable WinXP solution, I downloaded the Knoppix bootable CD and within an hour was able to recover my wife's files.

I'm seriously thinking of moving her to a Linux-based solution and having her run OpenOffice for her word processing and other Office needs.

Any recommendations on a Linux version that would be sutied for a typical newbie user?

Thanks again.