PDA

View Full Version : Installing KNOPPIX in external USB 2.0 HDD

FidoBoy
03-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm new at Linux (not using other systems and computers) and i have been testing Knoppix LiveCD, now i i've installed it in my HDD. This HDD is plugged using USB 2.0 and i have another internal HDD containing Windows XP (a SATA drive). The installation was done correctly, and i've selected USB-HDD boot in the BIOS, the system boots and i can see the GRUB prompt, then, at the GRUB prompt i've configured the kernel location using: kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 and Linux starts.... BUT, after a few seconds and some booting messages, i get: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01 I've been searching in Google information and i've found some tutorials and infos about how to install KNOPPIX in Pendrives, etc, (none was about USB HDDs, but i suppose that is the same thing). I've tried to follow instructions but nothing worked fine... I know that i must modify the initrd or something like that, but i don't know how to do it... so can anybody help me? I think that this is a very interesting question because i think that there is a lot of people in this situation, so, can anyboy post a small tutorial detailing the all the steps to get the correct Linux configuration??

Many thanks in advance,

.:Fido:.

Harry Kuhman
03-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Don't cross post, which is posting the same post in multiple forums. Your other post has been removed.

FidoBoy
03-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Ok, sorry.... :oops: