PDA

View Full Version : there are 5 iso files, do I download all of these and put on

ArticWhite
03-07-2005, 07:07 PM
I am a newbie here so bare with me. I am trying to download and then burn the knopixx iso .
when i got to the ftp site i found it gives 5 knoppix iso files to download.
the first one I have downloaded, but not burned yet. there is a zip file on the desktop and the the iso images are in a folder i selected.

Question 1 Do i need to download the other iso files that are grouped with it???
12/09/2004 12:31PM 732,942,336 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso
12/09/2004 12:39PM 65 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5
12/09/2004 12:39PM 408 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5.asc
12/09/2004 12:55PM 73 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.sha1
12/09/2004 12:55PM 416 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.sha1.asc
12/09/2004 01:36PM 832 README

Do i download all of those? and also Can i put it on dvd? or it must go on cd?
how do i get it all on cd?? The first file seems to large for 1 cd, but that is the one I have downloaded and it is sittin on pc. what next??? i read the FAQ, but newbie doesnt understand all of it.

thanks in advance :?

Markus
03-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Check the downloading faq http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ
If you have a bittorrent client I recommend using it since it tends to give cleaner downloads

Harry Kuhman
03-07-2005, 07:50 PM
.... there is a zip file on the desktop and the the iso images are in a folder i selected.
I doubt very much that there is a zip file. I suggest that you make sure that windows does not hide extensions from you, it's a "feature" that should always be turned off. You only need one ISO, one that ends in EN for Englisg or DE for German. If you are not using Bittorrent than you really need the md5 file too and to check the md5 sum before burning. And, if you are asking these questions, it's likely that you will burn it wrong unless you read the downloading faq.

ArticWhite
03-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Ok, Lets see I did already download this file to its own folder and I can see the ISO file.
I have printed directions how to burn it..

One question is do I need the other 4 ISO files listed underneath the first one?
I have read the FAQ but it is a bit foreign to me.
not sure what bitternoerent is, but will search it now

I got the file already above, so now what??
so to speak.. I think I am ready to burn it using the printed directions
but I was confused as to why there was zipped files on desktop.. but now I realize
anytime i download a zip file, the file is there twice.(1 with zipper, 1 plain folder)
dont know why, it just does it.

Harry Kuhman
03-08-2005, 01:28 AM
not sure what bitternoerent is, but will search it now....
If you follow the Get Knoppix link at the top of the page you will find out about Bittorrent. If you already have the ISO you may not need to use it this time, but it will be handy in the future. Since you apparently did not get the iso by bittorrent, you really do need to do the md5 step. If you can't be bothered then maybe you shouldn't even use Linux.

....but I was confused as to why there was zipped files on desktop.. but now I realize
anytime i download a zip file, the file is there twice.(1 with zipper, 1 plain folder)
dont know why, it just does it.
Are you really sure that you have zipped files from Knoppix that you downloaded? None of the official mirrors have zipped files that I know of. Are you really seeing a zip extension, or just an icon that you think means it is a zipped file? If you are letting Windows hide the extension from you, you should certainly turn this "feature" off.

ArticWhite
03-08-2005, 01:50 AM
ok well , since i knew that only the first file would fit on a cd i did just burn it to a CD. how do I check if that worked? I have not done the other 4 downloads yet. If I must do them then will the four of them fit on one cd?? There is a icon folder on desktop with zipper on it. the second folder with iso extension is in the folder i created and sent it to on download. I always seem to get double folders

anyway I am not even 100% sure what knoppix is.. i read that if your pc crashed you could boot off this to save files etcc...... so just trying to learn stuff and it is not a bother.. I am just trying to learn and somethings are so foreign. No pc expert here, a newbie :wink:

Harry Kuhman
03-08-2005, 02:12 AM
ok well , since i knew that only the first file would fit on a cd i did just burn it to a CD. how do I check if that worked? .....
You have been told where to find the important instructions on how to burn the iso properly. You elected not to do so. I can tell you right now that what you made will not work.

Why do you ask for help, then not accept it when it is offered? Markus even gave you the link to the information that you need.

.... There is a icon folder on desktop with zipper on it.
Which doesn't make it a zip file. Turn off Windows "feature" to hide file extensions in the file explorer. If it is a zip file then you likely got it from an unofficial site, and it could contain anything, a virus, a program to delete all of your files, or who know what. It might even be a real copy of Knoppix, which you could confirm by a md5 file check with an md6 file from one of the official mirrors (not with the md5 file that you got from the site that gave you the supposed "zip").

....anyway I am not even 100% sure what knoppix is.. i read that if your pc crashed you could boot off this to save files etcc...... so just trying to learn stuff and it is not a bother.. I am just trying to learn and somethings are so foreign. No pc expert here, a newbie
Trying to learn things is commendable and supported here. Learning in advance rather than after you have trashed your Windows system and in a panic to recover is even more so commendable. We like and help new people here. But why do you seem to not accept the information that you are given to try to help you?

The about link at the top of the page will tell you more about what Knoppix is, although if you're not going to follow a link that Markus give you enbeded right in his reply then I don't expect you to read the about information either.

gildedlink
03-08-2005, 02:30 AM
I am a newbie here so bare with me. I am trying to download and then burn the knopixx iso .
when i got to the ftp site i found it gives 5 knoppix iso files to download.
the first one I have downloaded, but not burned yet. there is a zip file on the desktop and the the iso images are in a folder i selected.

Question 1 Do i need to download the other iso files that are grouped with it???
12/09/2004 12:39PM 65 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5
12/09/2004 12:39PM 408 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5.asc
12/09/2004 12:55PM 73 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.sha1
12/09/2004 12:55PM 416 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.sha1.asc
12/09/2004 01:36PM 832 README

Do i download all of those? and also Can i put it on dvd? or it must go on cd?
how do i get it all on cd?? The first file seems to large for 1 cd, but that is the one I have downloaded and it is sittin on pc. what next??? i read the FAQ, but newbie doesnt understand all of it.

thanks in advance :?

I think Harry pretty much summed this up. :) Only one of these is the iso file, the md5 file is used to validate whether the file is corrupted or not (sometimes when downloading from a server there can be a screw-up and the file can become corrupt, the md5 file is used in a program that makes sure the file you downloaded is not corrupt). I don't recall what the others are for, but like harry said, read the info on using md5 and the instructions on how to burn it. ISO files are exact copies of a disc, sort of like a zip file version of a cdrom, with all the files/folders the original cd had. You need to use a special program to uncompress and burn the files just how they were on the original (and even give the cd the same name). The instructions help alot with much of this.

Harry Kuhman
03-08-2005, 02:39 AM
I don't recall what the others are for, but like harry said, read the info on using md5 and the instructions on how to burn it. ....
All one needs is the ISO and the MD5. The md5.asc is just an ascii version of the md5, which is kind of redundant since the md5 file is ascii anyway. The sha1 and sha1.asc files are alternate check files based on Secure Hasing Algorithm. But the md5 check is quite enough to prevent corrupt files. Not that it would hurt to look at the readme file, but that seems to be too much to hope for in this case.

ArticWhite
03-08-2005, 03:15 AM
HARRY,

I think that your comments are RUDE and Uncalled for. I asked a very direct question and got answers that were not so direct. I may have dyslexia or ADD or whatever. I stated in the first post that I read the FAQ and did not understand them. Is that sooooo hard for you to understand???

I will find my answers elsewhere.
for your information I did order and pay for a copy but was merely trying to teach myself something.

have a great life and hope you dont treat everyone with such disrespect.
please feel free to remove me from your forum as I dont want to read such rude
comments from the likes Of you.

:shock:

Harry Kuhman
03-08-2005, 05:32 AM
..... I asked a very direct question and got answers that were not so direct. ..... I stated in the first post that I read the FAQ and did not understand them. Is that sooooo hard for you to understand??? ....
You said you read the faq, but there are a multitude of FAQs, you didn't say which one it was that you read. Markus pointed you at a very good faq to start with, but if you did read that faq you certainly never asked anywhere near direct questions about anything that they said that you might have had questions about. Indeed your post saying
..... i did just burn it to a CD. how do I check if that worked? .....: implies that you didn't read the faq, or it's not likely that you would have either "just burnt it to a CD" or asked what to do next. You can keep calling yourself a newbee, but it's not reasonable to expect that one line to result in people rewrting all of the help documentation just for you when you don't make it clear what is confusing you. This site is very new user friendly. I honestly was trying to help you (as wes Markus).

I could care less that you ordered and paid for something. Most of us here, including myself, didn't pay anything for Knoppix. It's free software. I'm not at all sure why you wanted to state that you paid for it.

Markus
03-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Harry Kuhman might be a tad blunt sometimes but he's also correct and helps a lot of people here. The thing is that most of us prefer to help people to help themselves instead of spoon feeding the information. Hence links to informative pages instead of straight answers. This way you can learn more especially since I have a tendency to forget some part of an answer ;) .
The downloading faq really has all the information needed.
How to download (ftp, bittorrent)
Where from (mirrors, torrent tracker)
How to check the downloaded data (md5sum)
How to burn (software, commands)

Just take your time and read through it. If you don't understand something, tell us the part of the faq which was unclear and what you already tried instead of just saying you didn't get it.
Linux requires you to read up a lot, so if you want to use linux, now is the time to start reading.

Harry Kuhman
03-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Harry Kuhman might be a tad blunt sometimes......
Yea, Markus, looking over the posts and sleeping on it I can see that I was getting frustrated, but you and I both pointed this guy to the information he needed, you even pasted the link in your message for him. I mentoned several times the importance of checking the MD5 sum. I tried to get him to enable seeing file extensions, couldn't give him exact steps since he didn't post which version of Windows he was using, but he never asked any questions about it. He just kept posting back that he was new, and then that he had just written the iso to a CD and what should he do next, without any acknowledgement of what we had written to him and no questions if there were any points he wanted more information on. I'm not surprised that my frustration came through.

Markus
03-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Don't worry about it, as I already said you were correct about this. Impossible to help someone who won't accept your help.