PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Card Not Found - Knoppix STD

nmaster64
03-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Warning: this user is a linux newbie

I love Knoppix STD. I love it to death. It works great on EVERY computer EXCEPT my laptop. The only issue is that it won't detect my wireless card. Now I understand ndiswrapper is needed for most cards, but STD doesn't come with ndiswrapper, so I'm at a loss. Is there ANY way at all I can get it working with STD without doing some major reprogramming/coding/recompiling/etc. (cause I don't know the first thing about that)?

Thanks.

My Laptop
--------------
HP Pavilion ze5468cl
2.66 GHz P4
512MB DDR RAM
60 GB HD (~1 GB left)
Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

tom p
03-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Is there ANY way at all I can get it working with STD without doing some major reprogramming/coding/recompiling/etc. (cause I don't know the first thing about that)?

No. But it isn't really that complicated to compile anything you need - although getting ndiswrapper up running automatically when it is installed in a very non-standard place might not trivial; and I'd not be surprised if there's not even "gcc" available on a Security Tools Disk?

To summarize:
* you might have success in compiling the latest ndiswrapper sources (depends on at least that the kernel header files are installed and gcc is available).
* I don't see a chance to install it in a standard place (i.e. under /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ for the kernel module and /sbin and /usr/sbin for the util files).
* it is however possible to manually load the kernel module.

You might try to compile the ndiswrapper package and may learn a lot about Linux this way (I don't recommend it though for KNOPPIX not running from HD) :-)

Thomas

nmaster64
03-09-2005, 04:55 AM
* it is however possible to manually load the kernel module.

So would it be possible for me to somehow load the module after I boot STD? Having to load it every time might be annoying, but I'm willing to do it. (Note: I only run STD off CD, I use Knoppix 3.7 for a HD install)

tom p
03-09-2005, 08:59 AM
As I said, it depends on the environment you have on CD (I've never used STD). Download ndiswrapper from ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net, untar it, cd into the ndiswrapper dir, enter "make" and see how far this gets you. If you run into errors it's probably not worth trying further (but you may post them anyway :-))

Thomas

foamrotreturns
03-09-2005, 09:00 PM
if you like knoppix std, you would probably like WHoppix more.
Check out their site:
http://whoppix.info/
It's extremely sleek, and I believe you will find that most, if not all, of the tools you need for security audits are quite easily accessible in that distro. It's got ndiswrapper included, and there are a ton of video tutorials on the site that will teach you how to do almost anything you want to learn.

Rabaeys
08-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I have burned whoppix on a cd. It uses knoppix 3.8
But when I used it, it could detect my NDIS 5.1 card (intel centrino wifi card) on my laptop.

I'm now downloading knoppix 5.0.1. Is it possible that I change the file of knoppix 3.8 into the file of knoppix 5.0.1 so
that that one will detect my card???
(I asked this because I had read that knoppix 3.8 or higher had a driver that could detect my wifi card.)

I my case it didn't do it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advantage,

Rabaeys