PDA

View Full Version : Read only file system- installing linuxant drivers...

Probert31
03-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Hi. Trying to install the Linuxant drivers for a Conexant HSF Winmodem in Knoppix. After decompressing the tar file and running make install I get an error stating the installation erred due to a read only file system. I've tried chmod ineffectively and even burned the file to CD to try and load from there. Anyway, how do I change the permission attributes of the file systemS to load the drivers? Oh, it's trying to make directories in /usr/sbin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tom p
03-08-2005, 07:07 PM
You can't. A read-only filesystem is, as the name states, read-only. Knoppix 3.8 will have UnionFS, which makes it possible to virtually write to the CD.

Depending on what exactly the Makefile instructions are (I don't have any knowledge of that package), you may have the option to install the package in your home dir (which you can make persistant). Just for information, could you post the output of the command "make -n install" (if it isn't too long)? And: do you have to run "configure" for the package to compile? If yes, try the "--prefix=/home/whatever-your-home-is" option.

Thomas

Probert31
03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the help. Just to be sure I have you right. I can't write to the file system because it's on the CD. The drivers were probably intended for installation on a comp running Linux, not a Knoppix Live CD. Is that it?

I don't have the output of the Makefile instructions as I'm at work right now but I can get them tonight.

And: I believe I do have to configure for the package to compile, I have to run the "hsfconfig" comand. You are suggesting I run "make install= /home/hda1" for instance? Would I need to set up a new partion to hold the pesistent home dir? I have seen a few tutorials so I can probably get that done. Thanks again.