PDA

View Full Version : custom user-profiling upon HD-Install?

_jz_
04-07-2003, 06:45 PM
because different users have different basic needs, which can all be rendered into the way the desktop is organized, it's shortcuts, toolbars, and so on, i thought that i may be quite easy to do such a trick:

why not asking upon installing knx to hard disk (along with a "what is your name?" question that would allow the renaming of the default knoppix user to a more friendly custom-named one!) something like:

"what kind of user are you?

[ ] novice user (everything must be there and flashy)
[ ] family-father user (office/internet/multimedia)
[ ] developper ( bare interface with lots of tools directly on the desktop?)
[ ] network guy (bare interface with lots of network and internet tools?)
"

default profiles with different themes and desktops and even why not windowmanagers could make this interesting, don't you think?

Fabianx
04-07-2003, 08:00 PM
because different users have different basic needs, which can all be rendered into the way the desktop is organized, it's shortcuts, toolbars, and so on, i thought that i may be quite easy to do such a trick:

why not asking upon installing knx to hard disk (along with a "what is your name?" question that would allow the renaming of the default knoppix user to a more friendly custom-named one!) something like:

"what kind of user are you?

[ ] novice user (everything must be there and flashy)
[ ] family-father user (office/internet/multimedia)
[ ] developper ( bare interface with lots of tools directly on the desktop?)
[ ] network guy (bare interface with lots of network and internet tools?)
"

default profiles with different themes and desktops and even why not windowmanagers could make this interesting, don't you think?

I think that is a good idea also ...

Could you please be so kind and post it as a BUGREPORT against knx-hdinstall, The instller itself here on http://www.knoppix.net/bugs ?

cu

Fabian

PS: Background is, that I can then assign this bug to me and easier find it, then in this forum.