PDA

View Full Version : Disk error 10

kristus
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Hello!
When I try to boot with the KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN CD on my computer, the screen just turns dark when the boot prompt (or whatever it's called; the prompt where you choose kernel and boot parameters) is supposed to appear. After ~10 seconds of utter blackness, the following error pops up:

isolinux: Disk error 10, Ax=42FA, drive EF
Boot failed: press return to reboot
Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a lspci -v from that computer, but I hope this specification will do:
Asus A8V Deluxe, K8T800Pro, S939 (
AMD Athlon64, 3200+, S939
2xCorsair Value DDR3200, 512 MB
2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB, SATA150
NEC ND-3500A DVD±RW

So, my question is: why do I get this error? Could it have something to do with SATA? Also, the same error appeared on a friend's computer with another new Asus mother board, although of P4 architecture.

By the way, the install-amd64-universal-2004.3-r1.iso live-CD (used for installing Gentoo Linux on amd64 architectures) works just fine. However, I don't know the specific differences between it and Knoppix 3.7.

UnderScore
03-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Most people who run up against this problem have either a bad CDR or a sensitive CDROM drive. In your case it sounds like the CDR media is bad. Just last night I had to burn a Knoppix disc and it turned out bad. So I trashed that and burned a new one. If I find that a CDR brand is giving me unusual errors, then I will burn the CDR at 4x or 8x and that will usually solve it. Other times, the CDROM drive did not like the CDR media so I had to get a different brand.
I hope this helps.
James