PDA

View Full Version : I need the Knoppix root password to access my PCMCIA slot

CaptainN
04-07-2003, 08:19 PM
When I try to use my PCMCIA slot with my Linksys Wireless PC Card it asks for the root password. Does anyone have the password? If not is there a work-around for this??

CaptainN

adamm
04-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Hit the "K" , go to the KNOPPIX menu, and click on root console and you will now have root access
root by default has NO password, so either use the root console under the KNOPPIX menu, or use a virtual terminal (ctrl+alt+f2)
(ctrl+alt+f5 to get back to kde)

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Or you could read the FAQ
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing

adamm
04-07-2003, 08:46 PM
That was a pretty basic question for knoppix that has been answered about 1000 times
good point rickenbacherus :D

CaptainN
04-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Ok. Now how do I get it to see the card?? Sorry if I'm acting like an idiot, but this is the first time I've used any form of linux / unix in my life.

CaptainN

adamm
04-07-2003, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure i'm following you, when i used my dads linksys pcmcia wireless card I had to do nothing. It automatically detected it and used dhcp to get an ip address and i was online at bootup.
What are you trying to run that needs root access.

CaptainN
04-07-2003, 08:57 PM
I just simply want to get on the internet with it. I have the card in the slot when I boot into Knoppix. Then when I go to click on Mozilla and type ina url it says the url I typed in can't be found.

CaptainN

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 09:00 PM
You could always try
netcardconfig
from a terminal.

adamm
04-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Do you have a dhcp server setup that will give you an ip address. At my dads house, he has a small home router connected to his cable modem that will use dhcp and assign the card an ip address and such. You can have the card configured correctly hardware-wise, but if you don't have an IP address and a gateway setup, you wont get online. This is more networking issues than a knoppix problem.

CaptainN
04-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Yes my router is set to give automatic ip addresses. Is there something that I'm doig wrong. I also tried netcardconfig several times and each time it failed.

CaptainN

CaptainN
04-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Now after I played around with it a bit more it works now. Thanks guys!!

CaptainN

adamm
04-07-2003, 09:22 PM
ok, so now all thats left is that you need to share what you did to get it working

CaptainN
04-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Ok what I did was the following:

I went to the root terminal and typed netcardconfig three times failing each time.
Next I removed the card and put it back in again.
Went to "K" - Knoppix - Internet - Network Card Configuration.
I then put in everything that I thought was needed for the card to access my router.
Once I did that in the terminal window it said auto lo something.
I then fired up Mozilla clicked on the Knoppix link, and BOOM! it worked.

CaptainN