PDA

View Full Version : cannot getknoppix to recogniz usb external harddrive (160G)

shorty_lb
03-10-2005, 02:18 AM
so, i'm trying to save some files from my harddrive to my external usb drive. the first time i plugged in my usb drive, knoppix recognized it, along with my internal drive. now for some reason it will not show my usb drive on the desktop or device list. when i got it to show/mount the first time, i think it was called uba1.

also, my internal drive is SATA and i put in the code knoppix26 acpi=off so knoppix will recognize my sata drive (which works fine and i can locate all of my data and everything), but i can't get it to recognize my external anymore. i can't figure out why it did i the first time and no more. there's nothing wrong with it, because when i boot knoppix without using the code for my sata drive, it shows the external drive as sda1 (which may be a problem??) and it functions perfectly.....the external harddrive is an iomega hdd 160GB desktop harddrive.

thanks in advance for any help.

foamrotreturns
03-10-2005, 06:07 AM
One thing you might try is to just go ahead and mount it manually. Knoppix never recognized my USB thumbdrives. I always had to add them manually.
Do:
mkdir /mnt/usb_external
mount -t vfat /dev/uba1 /mnt/usb_external
note: you may need to substitute ntfs for vfat if your external is formatted with ntfs. It's not supposed to be but you never know.
let us know if that works.

shorty_lb
03-11-2005, 04:14 AM
One thing you might try is to just go ahead and mount it manually. Knoppix never recognized my USB thumbdrives. I always had to add them manually.
Do:
mkdir /mnt/usb_external
mount -t vfat /dev/uba1 /mnt/usb_external
note: you may need to substitute ntfs for vfat if your external is formatted with ntfs. It's not supposed to be but you never know.
let us know if that works.

it won't let me make a directory and gives me a "permission denied" error.

i think i've tried these lines of code before, and when i put in the second line, it gave me some root error "only root can do this" or sumthin like that :(