PDA

View Full Version : Netgear WG111 USB with 3.6 kernal

Phishman
03-10-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm running Knoppix 3.6 on a new computer that i had working great on wired DSL before. Now i need to run it on wireless by means of a Westell Versalink router/modem with a wireless system. I purchased a Netgear USB 802.11G router and it works great in windows XP pro. I get full reception and speed. But i cant get anything in linux. I'm pretty new to linux and any help would be much needed. Thanks alot.

ghaze
03-12-2005, 12:31 AM
I purchased a Netgear USB 802.11G router

What exactly do you mean? What is the exact make and model number
of your card? How is it connected to your computer? Both the netgear
311's that I'm aware of are pci cards, not usb. There's a good chance
your card will work, but you need to be specific if you want help.

Phishman
03-12-2005, 03:31 AM
Its not a netgear router, its a Westell Versalink Model 327W router running wired internet on my Windows XP only computer and it has to communicate to my other computer by means of my Netgear WG111 wich is a USB WIFI device. In windows all i had to do was plug it in and it worked. But in linux, it doesnt work at all. Any sugestions would be great. Thanks again Knoppix people.

ghaze
03-12-2005, 04:30 AM
This is from the ndiswrapper wiki

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/List?PHPSESSID=d47f9aff42bb0f748ecd6601c11218cd

Card: NETGEAR WG111 802.11g Wireless USB2.0 Adapter
Chipset: Prism54 (Intersil 3886 and NetChip NET2280)
usbid: 0846:4220
Driver: Netgear windows driver Version: NETGEAR, Inc.,03/03/2004, 1.0.8.4 from http://www.netgear.com
Other: Works well. To get the driver, use cabextract on the .exe, then unshield on the data1.cab. WPA-PSK TKIP worked with wpa-supplicant 0.2.4. Used kernel SuSE 2.6.5-7.104-default. The driver locked the machine when connected to an OHCI controller, but worked fine with EHCI, on a SiS 650 chipset. TCP throughput was apx 7Mbps, which is low, but CPU usage was not maxed out as it is under windows XP on test machine. ndiswrapper is CVS top of tree from 23rd August 2004. There is a native driver for Prism54 that is working on USB support. Veiw its status at Prism54.org

I'd suggest reading the docs at

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Installation?PHPSESSID=ee01535761ed81277295149ebd2 a4b95

Pay particular attention to the part about installing your windows drivers.
Cabextract, mentioned above,is available on knoppix. I don't know about unshield.
If you get your windows driver extracted, save it somewhere so you can reuse it.

As root

ndiswrapper -i /path/to/windowsdriver
modprobe ndiswrapper
wlcardconfig
netcardconfig

I'd also check into the native prism54 support mentioned above. It may have more features than ndiswrapper,
if they have it working.

Hope this helped.

Have Fun

SystematicAnomaly
03-18-2005, 02:59 PM
first of all, phishman is a freakin moron. anyone who says "kernel 3.6" and cant properly use google to figure out a linux problem shouldnt be allowed to use anything remotely close to linux. knoppix is too good for you. go back to your wannabe linux redhat setup or suse. oh, and use your fucking BRAIN before you submit something. learn something, dont just use it and expect someone to hold your fucking hand all the way down the road.

and ghaze, cant you fucking read? i mean seriously. use common fucking sense before you type.

how about trying a real linux distro like debian or gentoo and not wasting time with a livecd that has everything built in it for you? put some fucking effort into it people, i mean seriously. all you fucking americans are the same.