PDA

View Full Version : newbie in knoppix ...

rrrjunior
03-10-2005, 10:51 PM
i have been using knoppix only to rescue win or for no hard disk computers but this is the first time i need a mobile operating system with complete set of applications ... ive just downloaded the iso for knoppix 3.7 . and everythin is perfect beside one thing ,,,
i need rhide for my developing work ...
as ive seen gcc and g++ seem to be on the cd ...
but my question is how do i put rhide on the livecd without crossing the line of 700 mb which is a cd ???
im a newbie to customisation so tell me really explicit how u do it ...
i have a windows xp and gentoo installed on my home computer ...

Harry Kuhman
03-10-2005, 11:18 PM
The very nature of your question implies that you are not completely new to Linux and not a complete idiot. So why would you use a subject line that is completely useless to anyone else who might be looking for the same information later? Whould I be wrong in assuming that as long as you get your information you could care less about other people being able to look through the forums and find the same information?

There are a number of forums here. There is one which obviously is a much better fit for the subject you ask about than this forum. Why did you not use it? For that matter, why no look through it, the answers to your question have been posted many many times (and by people who used reasonable subject lines).

Is it only me who is bothered by thee useless subject lines that seem more and more frequent lately? Maybe I should just shut up about it. I have ignored many posts when the sublect lines were this useless (even when I knew the answer and would have otherwise responded), but other people still respond and the pratice seems to grow as others see that such subject lines get responded to.. Personally I think the forums should have useful subject lines so others can find information and the same questions are not reposted sveral times a day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

UnderScore
03-11-2005, 12:13 AM
The process of making your own Knoppix CD is customizing and/or remastering. You can use the Documentation link at the top of the screen to read about remastering. It contains a guide that shows you how to customize (add/remove/update software) for Knoppix. In fact, in the Customising & Remastering (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) forum is a HOWTO I wrote based on the scripts that Fabian & others created. It is called HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867) If you follow my HOWTO, you do not have to add/remove/update exactly as I did. A known issue with remastering is that if you do not add anything to the original Knoppix contents, the resulting ISO image is larger than 700MB and will not fit on a CDR. So you will have to remove something so that the resulting ISO image fits on a CDR. I don't like or use emacs so I suggest removing emacs via the command:
apt-get remove emacs21 emacs21-bin-common emacs21-common emacsen-common gettext-el zile

As for rhide, I checked packages.debian.org and did not find it there so it looks like you will also have to download http://www.rhide.com/ & compile it.
Happy remastering!
James

Freitag
05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
There is an excellent and epic in another forum about someone trying to complete a bootable cdrom under the 700 mbyte limit. I think it is under portable or install? Check the search function.

Much software must be removed this.

Another thing, which I don't know how to do, would be to boot from a 1gig mem stick.

You might check the book "Knoppix Hacks" or something like that from O'Reilly. This book discusses building a custom disk image.

good luck!

Freitag :D