PDA

View Full Version : QTparted - how do you add other file systems?

Oxyacetylene
03-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I am working on remastering Knoppix and one of the things I wanted to do is add more file systems into QTparted. On the Knoppix disk you are limited in what types of file systems you can create. On the SystemRescueCD there is support for many more file systems. How can I add these? On my Debian system it shows the same file systems as on the Knoppix CD when I run QTparted.

UnderScore
03-11-2005, 12:08 AM
This answer comes from my experience with knoppix. I am not running knoppix right now to check for you.
Its probably based on the kernel filesystem modules that are available for the knoppix kernel. AFAIK, qtparted is only a front end to mkfs.* tools so I gather than if you want to edit some rare partition, then you will needs it's tools.
I hope this helps.
James

firebyrd10
03-12-2005, 03:01 PM
qtparted is a frontend to parted

the mkfs tools are rather plugins

Oxyacetylene
03-18-2005, 07:48 PM
OK I figured out how to get the options to show up so I could format a partition as ext3, ext2, fat32, fat16, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, or xfs. I had to install parted, and modify the paths in qtparted confguration to point to the right spot. When I click on empty drive space and select Create, I am only given the following options: ext2, fat32, fat16, linux-swap.
How do I get the other file systems to be available for Create and not just Format?
How do I get reiser support?

If I look in /sbin there are utilities for Reiser such as: reiserfsck, reiserfstune, resize_reiserfs, mkfs.reiserfs, mkfs.reiser4 Some of these I guess I installed with reiser4progs. How do I get qtparted to actually use the reiser stuff?

Oxyacetylene
03-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Anyone know where qtparted stores the configuration? I need to change the paths it is looking for the external tools.