PDA

View Full Version : knoppix won't boot graphically from hard disk

jariep
03-13-2005, 04:28 AM
I left knoppix running over night and the screen saver was activated and put the video signal on standby, (my monitor has a little light that says if there is a video signal).

Then I tried to move my mouse and keyboard to deactivate the screen saver, since the screen was completely blank (black). This didn't work, so I had to reboot the machine without shutting down by using the reset switch on the computer.

I then had a message on reboot to use fsck manually. I rebooted the machine with knoppix cd and I entered the follwoing command:

fsck.ext3 /dev/hda4

after about an hour the machine completed this command operation. I then rebooted and everything was back to normal.

I then left the computer for 5 minutes and the screen went blank again with the video signal on standby. I couldn't disable this and return to the display by moving my mouse and keyboard.

I had to reboot again without shutting down by pressing the reset switch, again.

I tried to perform fsck with the knoppix CD again but this time it completed without spending any time in the process.
I then rebooted and to my surprise, I was in console mode. So, now, knoppix no longer boots graphically.

How do I fix both of these problems. First, booting in graphical mode. Second, how do I setup the screen saver so that it doesn't disable the video completely to the point that I can't return to a session?

eon
03-14-2005, 07:02 AM
This is from the bottom of the page of the knoppix cheatcodes:

" Caution: X-Screensaver: Don't start xlock or any screensaver that
requires a password. There are no default passwords on KNOPPIX,
i.e. all accounts are LOCKED unless you explicitly set a password.
See also README_Security.txt about this issue.
If you accidentially hit the screensaver button in KDE,
switch to one of the textconsoles by Control-Alt-F1 and kill
the screensaver (or just set a password for the knoppix user).

If you would like to edit your X-Server configuration manually
(/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for XFree86 V4.x), use "knoppix 2" to boot
into runlevel 2 (textmode only) and, after changing the X
configuration, start the X environment with "init 5". Note that
you can always leave the graphical environment with "init 2", and
restart it later with "init 5"."

I included the 2nd paragraph because you may need to redo your xserver.
Perhaps somehow you set a lock on the desktop/screensaver and that's why the mouse doesn't
bring back your desktop. It's my best guess. Read that 2nd paragraph to restart x or do "startx"
Good luck.

radnor
03-15-2005, 04:50 PM
jariep,

Hope this works for you but I did something similar to this....

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17647

I worked on this in a follow up post (3rd one).