PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix doesn't see RAID 0

ixalarx
03-13-2005, 06:58 AM
I'm trying to install knoppix on an SATA RAID 0 array, but knoppix can't see it (it doesn't show up on the desktop). I'm using an Abit AV8 motherboard with a Via SATA RAID controller.

I've tried using the "noapic acpi=on" cheatcodes.

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm trying to install knoppix on an SATA RAID 0 array, but knoppix can't see it (it doesn't show up on the desktop). I'm using an Abit AV8 motherboard with a Via SATA RAID controller.

I've tried using the "noapic acpi=on" cheatcodes.
Many of the current "raid" systems are very minimal hardware and a software driver that runs under Windows to do the RAID function. I don't know what type of system you are working with. If it's a true hardware solution it might well work with Knoppix. But if it is a software driver based solution then obviously you don't have the same drivers running under Knoppix and you may be putting your raid array at high risk if you try to write to it with Knoppix (or any other Linux system).

ixalarx
03-13-2005, 06:11 PM
How would I find out whether my RAID would work under Knoppix?

ixalarx
03-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Never mind, after looking around a bit I've found out my RAID is software. Thanks a lot for your help, I guess I'll just put in a PATA drive for Linux.