PDA

View Full Version : still using knoppix 3.3 - should I change?

metavoid
03-13-2005, 11:21 AM
I started with knoppix 3.3 and still using it.

Since we now have a version 3.7, Im wondering if I should change but
Im not sure what the benefits would be since

1) 3.3 have the programs I need
2) Works with my hardware
3) I can actually control it = I have learned some

So what do I get?
Support for chipsets that 3.3 cant use or what is the big difference having a new core?

Will 3.3 stop working on new computers?

OErjan
03-13-2005, 12:17 PM
you get somewhat more secure (security flaws have been adressed).
and chances are you get slightly better performance with 2.6 kernel.
the fact is that things work mostly the same in 3.7 as in 3.3. atleast in cli.
downside is that a few programes have gone (Koffice among others) and that KDE is slightly larger/slower. nothing much though.
why not try with the live CD and see. by now you should be a decent judge of knoppix.

pureone
03-13-2005, 07:40 PM
you may aswell test out knoppix 3.8

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2005, 08:12 PM
3.3 should still work fine on most computers, but there may be new hardware (like in-board NICs) that it doesn't recognize but newer software does. I still have 3.1 CD's that I'm not about to throw out (there are some games on the older CD's that are missing from the newer ones). Personally I wouldn't switch to 3.7, Knoppix 3.8 is almost out. It's been handed out at CeBIT and there are some unofficial sites hosting images that are hopefully of it. But you might want to wait a few days and see if an official version of 3.8 doesn't become available. 3.8 sounds like a pretty significant advance, so a lot of future discussion will likely focus on new 3.8 features.

metavoid
03-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Im glad to hear that 3.3 properly will work for newer computers.
I can alwys put a realtek netcard in if the onboard is not working.
I was sort of fearing that newer chipsets would be a problem.

Performance or pathes is not really important as I sit on 3.2 p4 with 1 gb ram and
its really responsive even with heavy load. Im behind a strong (hardware) firewall and
my development machine is not visible to the outside.

But, I get your point about people will talk alot about 3.8 when its out and I will
get sort of outdated if I stick with 3.3 as some things must be different.

Funny that knoppix 3.3 turned out to be anything I really wanted.
I even got wine to work so I can run any MS app I need to give people support
but the included apps in knoppix are so nice that I don't use MS versions myself anymore :)

pureone
03-13-2005, 11:43 PM
really apt-get upgrade should keep your system upto date if you have it installed to hd. the only thing that would be outof date is the kernel which you can install your self.
so i would say keep your harddrive as it is but download 3.8 anyway to test it out as live cd.