PDA

View Full Version : Apt-get continually generates locales.

chad
04-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Hello,

When I run apt-get install 'application', and after the install is complete, apt then constantly generates locales. Is there a way to configure apt not to do this?

Thanks.

Stephen
04-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Edit the file /etc/locale.gen comment out the locales you do not want generated then apt-get install localepurge the configuration utility will run and make sure the locales you commented out in the file are the same in the config program accept the changes. The locale-gen program will generate the locales in the config file locale.gen. Now every time you apt-get localepurge will run and purge the excess locales that were installed during the apt-get. This worked for me YMMV.

All this in a root console of course. :)

chad
04-08-2003, 01:59 AM
Stephen:

Thank you very much for the help. That resolved the issue.

:D

Stephen
04-08-2003, 04:48 AM
Your Welcome.

Dave_Bechtel
04-10-2003, 03:42 AM
--Localepurge is pretty good, but I have no visibly bad results from just removing the locales package entirely. :)

' apt-get remove --purge locales '

Edit the file /etc/locale.gen comment out the locales you do not want generated then apt-get install localepurge the configuration utility will run and make sure the locales you commented out in the file are the same in the config program accept the changes. The locale-gen program will generate the locales in the config file locale.gen. Now every time you apt-get localepurge will run and purge the excess locales that were installed during the apt-get. This worked for me YMMV.

All this in a root console of course. :)

Stephen
04-10-2003, 03:57 AM
I had thought about removing it entirely but was not sure if it would screw things up so thats good to hear. Thanks for the tip.

aay
04-10-2003, 04:26 AM
--Localepurge is pretty good, but I have no visibly bad results from just removing the locales package entirely. :)

' apt-get remove --purge locales '

That is pretty interesting. I labored under the same assumption as Stephen. Since this seems to be a major pain for pain for a HD install (more so for newbies) would it be possible to drop it from the CD? Or would that screw up some people's language settings? In any event thanks for the tip as I think this is the easiest way to deal with the problem.