PDA

View Full Version : USB Optical Mouse not detected/working

Shadda
03-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Hey. I finally got fed up with my crappy PS/2 optical mouse i've been using here, so I went out and bought the cheapest piece of crap USB mouse i could find (I'm funny like that)

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work on my hdd install of knoppix (Don't know if it works on LiveCD. Didn't feel like rebooting and killing my 4 weeks of uptime to find out)
I've restarted X, I've run mouseconfig, selected USB, (Now, I'm not sure if it's actually being detected. On the next screen I see 'Microsoft optical mouse', which is what I have, but it looks alltogether too vague to be sure.) Select microsoft USB mouse, hit Ok. Nothing. done this several times, tried several different approaches. If I use my USB->PS/2 adapter it works fine (But my laptop doesn't like me using a mouse in PS/2....It conflicts with other hardware so I usually have to wait a few seconds before the mouse will even move)

Is there some trick to getting it working?

Harry Kuhman
03-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Unfortunately, I can't get it to work on my hdd install of knoppix (Don't know if it works on LiveCD. Didn't feel like rebooting and killing my 4 weeks of uptime to find out)
So you changed mice and complained here even though didn't reboot and let Knoppix detect your new type of mouse?

Shadda
03-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Shouldn't need to reboot, no. I re-ran all the autoconfigure stuff, looked around at USB drivers, and restarted X (and X is what uses the mouse driver, no?)

I've run several "mouse utilities" too, and googled + searched this forum.

Shadda
03-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Just rebooted, and no, Still no support.

*walks off mumbling about his poor uptime*

EDIT: I've also tried manually editing my X86Config file, under input devices, but had no luck with that either.

Harry Kuhman
03-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Just rebooted, and no, Still no support.

*walks off mumbling about his poor uptime*

EDIT: I've also tried manually editing my X86Config file, under input devices, but had no luck with that either.
Did you boot the Live CD (with the USB mouse in place at boot time), which you already pointed out would be the real test, or did you just reboot the "hard drive install" again?

Shadda
03-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Both.

Harry Kuhman
03-14-2005, 01:20 AM
Both.
That's very strange, I've yet to find an optical mouse that Knoppix will not deal with, USB or PS2. I must have used at least 6 to 8 different USB mice with it. Did you happen to check if the optical rodent works with Windows? Perhaps it is broken.

Shadda
03-14-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeah, It works fine with windows, and was in fact just using this on my desktop in the other room. It's just a generic blue Microsoft USB PS/2 Compatible optical mouse.

Harry Kuhman
03-14-2005, 05:56 AM
Do you have any other USB devices working on this computer when running Knoppix? Do you have a usb flash drive that you could plug in and confirm that the usb sub-system is working under Knoppix? Are you using any boot cheat codes that might impact the use of the usb mouse (like, oh, I don't know, .... nousb ?) Something very strange is going on here.

I really doubt that the mouse being blue is a factor here.

Shadda
03-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Heh. The *name* of the mouse is 'blue' :)

Nothing else plugged into USB at the moment, But I have also successfully gotten my USB keyboard working without any trouble (under knoppix). No usb flash drive, no. And no boot cheats. The only thing i used when installing knoppix was lang=us screen=1600x1200. That's it.

Harry Kuhman
03-14-2005, 09:14 PM
The only thing i used when installing knoppix was lang=us screen=1600x1200. That's it.
Actually, and I realize that this may be as much of a personal bias as a fact, but I preceive that installing causes so many problems that I don't usually get involved with problems when Knoppix has been installed to hard disk. But you indicate that you did these from a CD boot too, and that is that part that intrigues me. I've used a lot of USB optical mice under Knoppix, most cheap, some Logitech and even Microsoft, and all, even the Microsoft worked under Knoppix just fine. Of couse, it might be some BIOS difference or something else, but I'm puzzled why your CD boot wouldn't work with your blue mouse.