PDA

View Full Version : Please help me to install my conexant modem (really newbie)

White_Devil
03-14-2005, 04:26 AM
Hello all, i'm really new with linux, i have knoppix and i just love it, but i have been trying to install my modem for my dial up conection but it doesnt work, some times it say "modem is busy" and other times is "modem not response" so i have readed a lot about it, and i know that first i have to login as the root (and i dont know how) i know that i have to use "su" or "sudo su" but, where do i put that ?? and how i know if i'm the root or not ?? where can i see it ?? and then i have to select with comX is my conexant modem port (i.e. com0, com1, com2, etc) and i have been choosing all 16 com port and nothing, just errors and more errors, can somebody please guide me about how to do this step by step please ? :$

Thank you really much..

(By the way, sorry about my bad english)

bluesdog
03-19-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm quite new at this, as well, but I think if you are trying to run Knoppix from the CD, and install drivers for your modem, you might have to establish a persistent home directory first -- that's under the configuration menu, (click the little penguin icon on the taskbar)

I don't even know if it's possible to configure a modem under a live CD session :roll:

Modems under linux tend to be rather finicky. I spent days trying to get a supposedly linux compatible modem running under Mandrake Linux, and even with a guru's help was only successful when I booted under failsafe mode.

Make sure you have the appropriate Linux driver for your conextant modem: http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

To change from ordinary user to root, you must open a teminal. That's the little monitor icon on the taskbar. You can assign yourself root privileges by typing 'su' in the terminal window

You will know you are root when the prompt changes from a dollar sign ($) to a number sign (#)

You can check this by typing 'whoami' in the terminal. If the system responds with 'root', you're in!

There are lots of good books and info available. I'm currently finding 'Think Unix' by Jon Lasser quite helpful.

I think there is still a large information gap about Linux/Unix. Some basic information seems difficult to find, or is quickly glossed over by otherwise helpful gurus who have worked in Linux for so long they have forgotten how odd it can be to us confused windoze peasants.

Also, even though google is very helpful, there is a lot of outdated information that can lead to even more confusion. At least for me! :roll:

White_Devil
03-19-2005, 04:49 PM
That help is really usefull, a friend o' mine told me that i have to install Knoppix 2 HD so i did (i lost lot of time and i format and reformat tons of times 2 but i did) now i have it in the HD i'm trying to put windows XP as the default OS cuz its logon 2 linux really fast so i have to be "looking" all the time for selecting windows, but thats another thing :P right now i just wanna install modem, so i can use linux more time and if i have any doubt just check it out on the net.

I downloaded the drivers (well some drivers but i dunno if i hav the correct or if that's standar) i've followed the install instruction and everything look like installed but when i try 2 get online the KPPP say "inisialiting modem" and nothing else happen..

If someone have msn messenger and could hep me, please add me, my msn is Javisperez@hotmail.com...

Any usefull help is welcome please..

Thank you guys and specially thx to bluesdog

:D :D

bluesdog
03-21-2005, 11:18 AM
:idea: have you tried http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

White_Devil
03-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Thank you all guys, i did!! i installed!!! first a friend helped me to install it to HD, then i just downloaded the drivers from www.linuxant.com but i didnt knew which one 2 download, so i got the 3 (the .tar.gz , the .rpm and the .dbp <-- or something) and the .dbp (i'm not sure about the name but is for debian or something :D) that worked!! :D:D:D niceeee :D now i can conect but just to 9kbps cuz isnt a full license :( but at last i have internet :D now i'm trying 2 put my screen resolution hehehe, i have 800x600 but i wanna use 1024 x 768 but i cant change it :S i readed "change the vsync rate to 60 and the hsync rate to 80" but i dunno how.. but i'm trying :D

Thank you very much guys

White_Devil
03-22-2005, 02:21 PM
I did!! i changed it using KXConfig :D and its nice, but now the screen look horrible :S the screen have a left offset and some icons look in the right (and a part of the Kbar) its like if the screen just Mm (i dunno the word) but if the screen cant view complete so i put a part offseted to left and another part in the right... Mm its like "splitted" :S damn!!

Any idea please????

:D sorry for all the questions but i'm really newbie

bluesdog
03-22-2005, 10:06 PM
If your display is really borked, you may be seriously stressing your monitor with incorrect settings. If it's just offset a bit, you can carefully try the Xvidtune tool from the System menu item

White_Devil
03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
yes, i'm carefull with xvidtune, and i adjust it really well with the xvidtune, but i dont know how to "save it" permanently i know i have to copy it to the XF86Config-4 file, but it doenst work i did..

Any tip please?