PDA

View Full Version : Etherboot not working

dave
12-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Hey,

I am really interested in using etherboot on my laptop. I set up the desktop OK and start the terminal server with all default options left as they are.

When I turn on my laptop, it detects the server, detects the laptops NIC, configures it, mounts the "KNOPPIX CDROM image at 192.168.0.1/cdrom" fine. The next part, where it accesses the CDROM image, i get a message which says :

nfs: server 192.168.0.1 not responding, still trying

and there it stays!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stonent
12-29-2002, 07:41 PM
I've seen that error before when trying to boot multiple network clients at once. In my case, it meant that the server could not keep up with the number of requests coming in. Is there any possibility to flip the two computers around and use the other one for the boot server and the other for the client?

rbsee
03-20-2003, 04:03 AM
I would be interested in detailed info on booting from a network. I ahve a lot of old computers with limited hard drive space and no cd rom. Is it possible to bot from a network drive?

rbsee

RockMumbles
03-20-2003, 09:37 PM
rbsee

As far as old computers, memory and video are as much of a problem as hd space.

Knoppix supports remote-terminal logins (enable remote-terminal on your knoppix computer and then boot with network boot disks or bootable network cards on your remote computers), but this requires enough memory on each computer to run knoppix.

One thing that you could do with older computers is if they have good enough video cards is use them for X-terminals and boot into a computer functioning as the server. For example on my main home computer I have a full debian install with gdm (gnome display manager) configured to allow remote logins. So from my P-150 (w/ 32mb and a hd with a linux swap I can start with: knoppix 2) in console mode as root I can connect to my 'X-window server computer' with a command like:
X -query 192.168.1.8
I get the login screen from my main computer and log in and run the desktop environment (or window manager) and apps installed on that computer. Note: for best results all screen resolutions must be the same. I have a 17" monitor (running at 1024x768) on my main computer and only have a 14" monitor (running at 800x600) on my p-150 so I have a user that I use when I login remotely, I don't use my 'normal' user.

A friend has been running his business with this approach for several years. He has 6 or 7 X-terminals that log into his servers. Up until recently he was using 486's with 8 to 16mb of ram for his X-terms, running old Slackware installs that used about 150MB of hard drive space. Just recently he picked some used pentium 166 to 200 Mhz computers with 32mb of ram, his new linux installs (he wanted ext3 filesystem) will easily fit on a 400+mb hd. The main reason he upgraded was to have systems with ps/2 mice and be able to run at 1024x768 at 16ppb. IIRC you need 2mb of video ram to run 1024x768 at 16ppb.

If you have any questions about running X-terminals and configuring gdm to allow remote login post back.

HTH

rock

rbsee
03-20-2003, 10:43 PM
RockMumbles: I would love to hear more about the things you are doing.

Also, I am ready to try paring down the full Knoppix to something a little smaller. If you have more than the FAQ's I would love to see that also.

rbsee

deathmas
01-29-2004, 12:13 AM
how can I get my p166 to boot

everytime i try it gives an error with kernel NULL as if it doesnt like the CPU

is there a different kernel required than that in the latest release or is there something else