PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW benefits over CD-R?

kcbnac
04-08-2003, 05:30 AM
i was reading through the FAQ, and it says to use CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. I understand the difference, but my questions are, why, and if I use an -RW, I suppose I shouldn't finish the session, and can I make changes to the OS without having a writeable HD?

Thanks!

Trying to figure it out before I dl it. Looks great!

Stephen
04-08-2003, 08:12 AM
To answer the why, when the new version is released there are usually some corrections made after release and new ISO's posted so if you use cdr then you have to burn each one if you want it with cdrw you just re-write it saves disks.

If you use rw then you should just use the normal make disk from iso image option that you would normally use to burn a cdr.

If by making changes to the OS means you want to install additional software no you will have to install to HD.

garyng
04-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Is the any difference in burning on CD-RW than CD-R or I just reuse the CD-RW as a new blank disk ? In other words, do I need to give 'cdrecord' different parameters ?

rickenbacherus
04-08-2003, 04:43 PM
I shouldn't finish the session,

Closing the session or 'fixating' is necessary for some cd players otherwise they can't read the disc. This is not usually a factor when using a cdrom. If you want a multi-session disc then do not fixate it. That is to say, if you want to add more tracks at a later time don't close the disc.

and can I make changes to the OS without having a writeable HD?

As Stephen stated you will need to install Knoppix to your hard drive but to answer this particular question (if I understand you correctly) no, you cannot make changes to any drive that you do not have the ability to write to.

In other words, do I need to give 'cdrecord' different parameters ?

Not that I know of.

RockMumbles
04-08-2003, 05:30 PM
just reuse the CD-RW as a new blank disk ? In other words, do I need to give 'cdrecord' different parameters ?

from man cdrecord...

blank=type
Blank a CD-RW and exit or blank a CD-RW before writing. The blanking type may be one of:

help -- Display a list of possible blanking types.
all -- Blank the entire disk. This may take a long time.
fast -- Minimally blank the disk. This results in erasing the PMA, the TOC and the pregap.
track -- Blank a track.
unreserve -- Unreserve a reserved track.
trtail -- Blank the tail of a track.
unclose -- Unclose last session.
session -- Blank the last session.

HTH

rock

Dave_Bechtel
04-10-2003, 08:51 AM
--Please note, I have been keeping (loose) track - and only get 8-10 rewrites from name-brand CDRW's before they go bad (read errors.) This is Memorex 12x, mind you - and I take care to keep my media clean and in cases. CDR's seem to last longer in terms of being *usable*.

--I use cdrecord's blank=all mode when rewriting, as well. Could be that the rw's are more sensitive because Knoppix is compressed, but that's just a guess.

i was reading through the FAQ, and it says to use CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. I understand the difference, but my questions are, why, and if I use an -RW, I suppose I shouldn't finish the session, and can I make changes to the OS without having a writeable HD?

Thanks!

Trying to figure it out before I dl it. Looks great!