PDA

View Full Version : knoppix on cd-r ?? help!!

panniusa
03-15-2005, 04:03 AM
hi ! sorry simple question. Knoppix usually has the size: aprr. 700MB.
mopst cd-r are 650MB capacity , even though it says 700mb. I tried byuing 800MB cd-r's, but once I start the burner they show capacity of 650MB again. How do I get knoppix on a cd ?

THANKS !!!!!!!!!

Harry Kuhman
03-15-2005, 05:40 AM
hi ! sorry simple question. Knoppix usually has the size: aprr. 700MB.
mopst cd-r are 650MB capacity , even though it says 700mb. I tried byuing 800MB cd-r's, but once I start the burner they show capacity of 650MB again. How do I get knoppix on a cd ?
Actually, most CDR media is 700 meg, it has been this way for several years. If you have media where the package is marked as 650 meg or the media itself is marked as 650 meg, Knoppix will not fit on it (even with "overburn").

If your package or media are marked as 700 meg then it very likely is 700 meg media, even if Windows is telling you that it is 650 meg in size. Your burning application should still be able to tell the difference. Overburn should not be needed. Knoppix will fit. Some very old burners may have problems burning more than 650 megs though, or at least need a firmware update. Don't know the details of your burner and software, so I can't give more details.

I have heard of 800 meg media, never actually seen it. Supposedly the tracks are tighter yet and you can fit 800 megs onto the CD. When trying to fit over 700 megs of data onto such a CD you need to use the "overburn" feature of software, this has been available in most burning software for the last 4 or 5 years at least. I would't use this for Knoppix, it's more useful for things that need it (like 800 meg mpeg files) and the track tightness could make it less reliable for Knoppix.

CDRW is somewhat different (and I like to suggest people use CDRW for their first burns since they end up making so many coasters). CDRW is available in both 650 meg and 700 meg, but 650 meg still seems to be very common. But I do keep some 700 meg CDRWs around just for Knoppix and other ISO files that I want to burn but get updated frequently (my 3.7 is on a 700 meg CDRW that used to be my 3.6 version). But if you can't find 700 meg CDRW at a good price I would just go ahead and use inexpensive 700 meg CDR rather than pay too much for some CDRWs.

I know that you are not in the US, but look around and you should be able to find 700 meg media. Ask your friends about it. And if you have a burner with old firmware you might want to see if a friend with a newer burner can help you. (If your burning software is just too old you can get free or trial versions of newer software on the web that will burn 700 meg CDs fine.) Post details about your burner, software and OS if you need more details.

Oh yea. By the way, this post is off-topic in tips and tricks, since it offers neither a tip nor a trick. I'm going to move it to a more appropriate forum.

EDIT:(And if I had caught that you spammed multiple groups with this post before I responded I wouldn't have bothered to type a response at all).