PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of files

usaramblinman69
03-15-2005, 04:47 AM
I have a new HD in my computer and the old unfunctioning one is set as slave. I boot to Knoppix and I can see both drives and the files I need to salvage from my old drive, but when I try to copy them to the new drive it says it cannot make the directory. It will not allow me to create a new folder either. Any ideas on what I need to do. Your help is greatly appreciated.

jjmac
03-15-2005, 12:56 PM
It's probably just permissions.

Could you post the output of a couple of commands to check on that. If your getting the message that you can't create a directory .... your probably trying to work from your user account on a mount point owned by root, and or, the executable permissions on your directory is restricted.

>>
I boot to Knoppix and I can see both drives and the files I need to salvage from my old drive.
>>

Have you got Knoppix installed to your new drive as a dedicated install ? ... sounds like it.

post the output of

]# mount

]# ls -al /mnt/[list=1]

or where ever the old drive is mounted.

You may just need to su to root.

]$ su
Password: <enter root pass_word>
]#

/etc/fstab would be worth looking at too, try adding "users" or "user" to the option list for the mount point. You may need to change the group association for your mount points too, jut to make them more flexible.

If you post the above, that shoild reveal what the state is at present.

Then ....

cd to wereever on your new drive and,

]# tar -C <path to old drive> -c <some file> | tar -C . -x

eg:

]# cd /dialups/logs/

]# tar -C /dialups/logs/2005 -c retrieved_urls | tar -C . -x

That will copy the "retrieved_urls" sub_directory of /dialups/logs/2005 and extract it to the current "/dialups/logs/" directory.

A bit of over kill for the above, but handy for across drives.

If you have a split_screen file manager, it would probably be better to just copy between the two file manager windows.

There is a program called "rsync" that would also be good, but i haven't used it to any degree to say much there.

>>
I have a new HD in my computer and the old unfunctioning one is set as slave.
>>

unfunctioning one !

jm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~