PDA

View Full Version : Synaptic cannot start

AJones
03-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi:

If I use Synaptic from the Menu, the Hour-Glass appears and vanishes after a while without opening Synaptic. However, from console it opens. How can I fix the Menu open, also what do I do if Windows freezes, how to re-install a corrupted app like this Synaptic in future.

Thanks,
alan

fingers99
03-15-2005, 10:16 PM
That Synaptic starts from the command line shows that Synaptic is fine and the K Menu is at fault!

Use the menu editor:

K > Settings > Menu Editor

to fix it: it's way too difficult to explain what to do, but should be pretty obvious once you start.

AJones
03-15-2005, 11:39 PM

What did was use different user as root which was not present. but the commandline was

gksu root /usr/sbin/synaptic

Earlier it would ask for Root passwd from a GNOME form, now it is the KDE form, I guess GNOME form got corrupted. Say I remove Synaptic using KPackage, Do i have to download all over again for it be installed or will it be cached? What do I do if Windows Freezes, Ctrl-Alt-Delete will exit the X-Server right? is there a way of killing the app, I guess kill -pid app.?

Thanks,
AJ

fingers99
03-28-2005, 01:23 AM
What do I do if Windows Freezes, Ctrl-Alt-Delete will exit the X-Server right? is there a way of killing the app, I guess kill -pid app.?

Cntrl+Alt+Backspace to kill the X server. To find out the pid use top, then it's kill pid.